Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with MIC and battalion please

tracy21020

Could you please give me some help for an elderly lady I know? Howell was her uncle. I know what most of the MIC means but at the bottom right are the following numbers, can you tell me what these mean please?

E/78798/3 and EF/9/4029

I have looked him up on the 1837 online 'soldiers died' and it says 2nd Battalion, on the CGWC it says 3rd Battalion. Is there any way of knowing which one is correct, perhaps by his service number? She would really like to know where he was when he died on 6/1/1915.

Thank you very much

Tracy

The "E" codes are; I expect the Medal Page References,

the Battalion he died with would probably be 2nd Bn,unless he had died of wounds ,after being returned home & had been posted to the 3rd{Reserve} Battalion{I expec he may have been posted to the 2nd Bn from the 3rd,to venture O/S,as they didnt as a rule serve O/S but were used for replenishing other Battalions

Thanks Harry. What are medal page references? It has the normal medal roll and page numbers for the Victory, British and 15 Star, these all start with 'J'.

He did die of wounds but I don't think he came home as his grave is in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. His first theatre of war is France on 29/11/14, so he wasn't there long before he died. Would it be worth getting his death certificate, would it give any more details?

Thank you for your help

Tracy

If not Roll page References{as you say they are there starting "J"}I expect they are some long discarded internal correspondence concerning the medals issue,etc;

As he died in France I would imagine the scenario is as I thought that he was posted from the 3rd [Res] Bn,to the 2nd,The CWGC having the original information entered that in their files,it is not wrong,just different.

A death certificate may help,I dont know how much detailed information they carry as regards Battalions etc;

Good Luck!

Thanks again, Harry. That makes sense. I checked the regiments on the long, long,trail and it says the 3rd battalion remained in Cardiff throughout the war.

Now I would like to find out which battle or what was happening on the day he died, (6/1/1915). I can't find an entry for the war diary for the 2nd battalion on the National Archives website. Does this mean I have to go to Kew or would somebody on here be able to help.

Best Wishes

Tracy

Someone may have researched the Regiment & have the diary entries otherwise it does I'm afraid mean going/or hoping someone who is going,to the NA can search for you

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
What are medal page references? It has the normal medal roll and page numbers for the Victory, British and 15 Star, these all start with 'J'.

For the Welsh Regt, the code should show... J/1/104/B