Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers/Yeomanry

jaygee303

Hi All,

I would really appreciate some help with the following:

Is it possible to tell which battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers the Regimental No. 235662 relates to?

The MIC for the serviceman concerned shows that he served in the Northumberland Hussars with the Regimental No. 2239, before transferring over to the Fusiliers. Is it possible to tell which unit of the Hussars he served in from this number?

Were transfers like this part of a wider initiative, e.g. turning cavalrymen into infantrymen? If so, roughly when did this changeover take place?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Jason

Hi Jason

Some times you can tell from a number but you will need to find people who have produced a database on the Northumberland Fusiliers (massive job) and Northumberland Hussars. The best way to find his Battalion is to look at the Medal Roll page (s) that holds his name, most infantry rolls give the battalion (s) a man served in.

Several Yeomanry units were turned into infantry in February 1917, to form the 74th Division. I do not know about the Northumberland Hussars, have a look at the Long Long Trail to see if Chris as any info. on the wheather the Northumberland Hussars turned into infantry or not.

Annette

you need to attract the attention of Graham Stewart, I believe.

He hasn't got enough to do at the moment!!!!!!!! :lol:

I've noticed :D

Jason

Sorry. I do not have the information about the Hussars/Yeomanry but the 6 figure 235662 number is in the range allocated to the 4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers T. F., who were part of the 149th Bde. 50th Div.

The number is quite high within the range, which was

200001 - 240000

According to the ORBAT the Yorkshire Hussars were the mounted troops originally attached to the division but I do not have the information about the Northumberland Hussars numbers or transfers.

Kate

Sorry

I see that Jason's question has already been dealt with in another thread.

Kate