Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for the Abroath & District Roll of Honour 1914-1919

Lost in Tilloy

Hi

Does anyone have a copy of the Roll of Honour for Abroath and District 1914-1919?

I've recently discovered two more Great, great uncles who served in WW1. One was a James Adamson who initially served with the 11th Hassars [No 3999] and laterly with the 6th Royal Scots Fusiliers [No 18308]. He died of wounds on the 28th of August 1915. I have his medal card and service papers and noted his family were loacted in Abroath during the WW1 period.

As I don't have a photo of him, I wondered whether the town Roll of Honour might have one in it, but I'm having trouble tracking down a copy.

Also can anyone recommend a book that covers the history of the 11th Hussars during August to December 1914?

Regards

LIT

Hi Arthur

Many thanks for the link. I've sent an e-mail to the person concerned.

Regards

LIT

Hi LIT

Im in Arbroath this week il see if i can get any info from the library for you.

Ady

LIT

We have a copy of the Abroath Roll of Honour there is a photo and obituary for a Pte. James Adamson, RSF. The details relate to Private James Adamson, 6th RSF, 5, Bonnybank, Gorebridge, Midlothian who was the son of James Adamson and of his wife Agnes McKenzie, 8, Leonard Street, Abroath.

If you would like a copy of this please email me and I'll scan the entry and send it to you.

Regards

Pam

LIT,

Did you know that James Adamson has his place of birth as Forfar on the SNWM (Arbroath on CWGC). He may also be on the Roll of Honour for Forfar (if you need any more leads) as this was the old county capital of Angus.

Hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC

Surname ADAMSON

Firstname James

Service Number 18308

Date Death 28/08/1915

Decoration

Place of birth Forfar

Other 6th Bn.

SNWM roll THE ROYAL SCOTS FUSILIERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

What can I say!

GWF comes up with the goods again. Thanks to all who have offered their help. Pam I'll e-mail you, and Ady, thanks for the offer of taking time out on your trip to Abroath, and Tom, I'll still chase any Forfar link.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards

LIT

I was researching something else when I read your post, this is part of a roll of honour printed in the Dalkeith Advertiser dated 15th August 1915, Adamson is not a common name around here and this may be a relative of your James Adamson. Arniston is part of Gorebridge.

Hi John

Many thanks for the reply. Interestingly enough James Adamson was in the 3rd Cameronians [scottish Rifles] for 1 week between the 11th Hussars and the 6th RSF. It could well be him as he and his wife had moved to Gorebridge just before the war began.

Thanks again

LIT

Hi John

Many thanks for the reply. Interestingly enough James Adamson was in the 3rd Cameronians [scottish Rifles] for 1 week between the 11th Hussars and the 6th RSF. It could well be him as he and his wife had moved to Gorebridge just before the war began.

Thanks again

LIT

No problem I am going back this week to look at the microfilm, if oyu want I can double back and have a look for an article about his death, it may be there I have been concentrating on Newtongrange entries for a book, but shouldn't be too bad too find if he's there.