Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Reeves Kings Royal Rifle Corps?

WINDSOR383

I have been studying this picture of one of my relatives Henry reeves who served during the great war and survived. the picture is not very clear but the cap badge looks very simular to the kings royal rifle corps and a few pictures i have seen on the internet show the colour of the badge as black.

as this is the only detail and photograph i have of him a second opinion would be very much appreciated as i would not wish to research the wrong man.

regards stu m.

post-8905-1147783057.jpg

Thanks for the reply, i have looked through the medal index cards on documents on line and there is only one henry reeves who served with the kings royal rifle corps as i have looked through the 8 other pages and noted down all the different regiments then looked on the web at regimental cap badges to see which ones looked similar and came up with the conclusion it was a black cross shape which seems to be the KRRC but i have no other info to add than this sorry.

kind regards stu m.

Stu

I'm no expert by a long way and I can see where you're going with the KRRC but IMHO the badge looks too 'bulky' for them, furthermore if he was KRRC then I would expect his buttons to be black as well.

Is there any chance you can scan just the area of the cap badge to give us a bit of a close up?

Steve

Stu

I'm no expert by a long way and I can see where you're going with the KRRC but IMHO the badge looks too 'bulky' for them, furthermore if he was KRRC then I would expect his buttons to be black as well.

Don't know; buttons certainly look black, and the badge may look 'bulky' as I think it and the cap have been photographically retouched (look at the chinstrap)

Can I change my mind?

Looking at the image here at work (don't tell anybody) it looks distinctly Maltese Cross shaped whereas at home it didn't have the same look, bigger display and better resolution I guess.

KRRC would be a good guess, but that is all that it would be, as there are some other Regiments (London in particular) that used this cross.

Can you get a closer image of the badge?

Steve

thank you steve and phil for looking in to this for me as you say it does look maltese and i agree that some london regments had a very similar shaped badge but i could not find any henry reeves that served in a london regiment on the documents on line web site. i will post a bigger picture of the hat and badge when my relation sends we a higher resolution image tomorrow. and if you would not mind having a look then.

best regards stu m.

i could not find any henry reeves that served in a london regiment

Appears to be only the one........

Medal card of Reeves, Henry S C

Corps Regiment No Rank

London Regiment 6475 Private

Royal Irish Rifles 44357 Private

Army Service Corps M/35475 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/16

Steve

thanks steve i must have jumped passed that one. i will have to look up in the family tree to see if he had any middle names i don't think he did but you never know.

thanks again stu m.