Cause of Death:

Memorial Panel: 171

Cemetery or Memorial Details: Berwick VIC R C Row 2

Next Of Kin: Mother - Mrs M T McNaughton

Place Of Enlistment:

Native Place: Longford VIC

Notes:

Source: AWM145 Roll of Honour cards, 1914-1918 War, Army

Hugh McNaughton, a 31 year old labourer of Beaconsfield Victoria originally left Australia as part of the 12th reinforcements to the 8th Battalion but was later taken on strength of the 1st Pioneer Battalion in Egypt in May 1916. He was badly wounded on the 04/10/1917 and eventually arrived home in Australia after hospitalisation in England.

post-43-1147666250.jpg

Hugh McNaughton was re-admitted to hospital in Australia and he died of the result of his wounding at Ypres.

post-43-1147666388.jpg

Andrew,

Thanks for that info as I was wondering why at Berwick, as its only 20 mins drive from my place. Beaconsfield is only 5 mins drive east on the Princes Highway from Berwick

Peter

Hi Peter

I notice on CWGC that there are only 2 war graves in that cemetery. 1 from WW1 & 1 from WW2.

Is it a very large cemetery?

Cheers

Andrew

A late remembrance message for Dvr McNaughton.

Sounds like he was in a bad way - hope he's resting peacefully in his native land.

Lest We Forget.

Hi Peter

I notice on CWGC that there are only 2 war graves in that cemetery. 1 from WW1 & 1 from WW2.

Is it a very large cemetery?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

I dont know. I will go for a drive on Friday or Saturday and have a look and take some photos.

Peter

Andrew,

as promised went today. Not a large cemetery but sectionalised into the different faiths ie RC, Anglican,etc.

Hugh is buried in the RC section and shares the grave with his father Archibald who died 13 Dec 1913.

He is mentioned twice, once on the original headstone as a Sapper and second on the CWGC stone which is laying flat on the grave plot as a Driver.

post-163-1148091534.jpg

And the last from about 5 metres away. The cemetery is north of the old Princes Highway which runs through Berwick and behind it is a combined playing field where tennis and a under 10's football match (Aussie Rules) was in full swing, also the smell of snags cooking wafted across. A very typical Saturday Aussie background. :lol:

Peter

If anyone wants higher res pics let me know and I will email them out

post-163-1148091952.jpg

And I know this is not Great War but Private T J Newman VX103971 grave is a bit ordinary. I was surprised there was just a rough concrete slab with a bronze plaque, no CWGC headstone.

One for Terry.

Peter

post-163-1148092542.jpg

Thanks for showing us those images Peter.

It's a pity that Newman's grave doesn't have a headstone but I've seen similar in Fremantle Cemetery where a family has opted for a private grave instead of an official war grave. Then, when the family grave falls into disrepair or is destroyed it's not replaced unlike the Official War Graves stones are.

Though at least the bronze plaque is still there to mark his resting place.

Regards

Andrew