Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Norm Christie book

Terry

For those of you who enjoyed the series of books by Canadian historian Norm Christie - the "For King and Empire" series - Norm has put out the ninth book in the series. It is "The Newfoundlanders in the Great War 1916-1918".

The book is actually Vol.X in the series, but Vol.IX "Other Canadian Battlefields of the Great War 1915-1917" has not been published yet. Vol.XI - "Sacred Places: Canadian Cemetaries of the Great War 1914-1918" is in the future.

Hi Terry:

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the CEF Books web site, but the book isn't listed yet. However, I did find "Only This: A War Retrospect, 1917-1918" by James H. Pedley, MC. Placed an order for this book and asked Norm for information on "The Newfoundlanders in the Great War 1916-1918."

Garth

Hi Garth,

I picked up my copy of the latest in the series at Chapters yesterday.

Martin,

I actually have not had a chance to read it yet, but I certainly will be open to doing a review.

Terry

• 1 year later...

Happy Birthday mordac!! ;)

BTW have you read this book in the mean time? Can you give it a good recommendation?

Since visiting Beaumont Hamel and getting the guided tour from a young lady who's great uncle was on the memorial, and great grandfather was one of the few who answered roll call i've had a new appreciation for the Newfoundlanders contribution.

Andy

I can certainly recommend it Andy - a nice history of the unit and their battlefields on the WF. Norm Christie's books are usually pretty good.

I would also recommend a book called 'Pilgrimage' by ? Parsons. I don't have my copy to hand - it's quite a detailed history of the NFLDs from Gallipoli to the end of the war. It was published in Canada in the 1990s and Ray Westalke used to sell it, I believe. Perhaps Tom Morgan has some stocks?

Can't remember name of author, but Memoirs of a Blue Puttee is a fine account of Newfoundlanders start to finish. It's by AJ Stacey.

I can certainly recommend it Andy - a nice history of the unit and their battlefields on the WF. Norm Christie's books are usually pretty good.

I would also recommend a book called 'Pilgrimage' by ? Parsons. I don't have my copy to hand - it's quite a detailed history of the NFLDs from Gallipoli to the end of the war. It was published in Canada in the 1990s and Ray Westalke used to sell it, I believe. Perhaps Tom Morgan has some stocks?

I now tend to keep out of discussions on the availability of books, so as not to break the forum's rules on advertising - which I support.

But I've just noticed Paul's question and don't want to appear rude by not answering it.

I don't have the excellent "Pilgrimage" by David Parsons although I'm trying to get some copies.

I do have a small number of Norm Christie's new book "The Newfoundlanders in the Great War" with more on order.

Tom

Moderators - please "pull" this reply if it contravenes any rules.

Thanks Tom - I hope it isn't 'pulled' as a specific question was asked and you kindly responded. I can't see anyone would grudge you a few sales when certain Great War books are often so hard to find.

Hi guys,

I never did do a review of the Christie book - sorry, getting forgetful. However, as stated it is great, up to the standards of the entire series. Another should be on the way dealing with the "minor" battles the CEF fought not covered by the other books.

The Parsons book "Pilgrimage" is first rate, and it gives casualties by date/battle,etc.