Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roodhouse, not recorded on the CWGC website.

Tony Lund

Holmfirth’s Seaman Arthur Roodhouse, 14802DA, is not recorded on the CWGC website but Arthur Rockhouse, 14802DA is.

Can this error be easily corrected? It seems obvious that it is the same man, unfortunately I cannot decipher Arthur Roodhouse’s Service Record. Not surprisingly there is no record for Arthur Rockhouse. (That I can find.)

Local newspaper reports say that he was drowned while serving on a Drifter in May 1918, which tallies with the Rockhouse information nicely. I am hoping someone can make sense out of handwriting on the attached record.

Thanks,

Tony.

CWCG entry.

post-3707-1147631347.jpg

Transferred to Trawler

Sectn No. 14802 DA

25th Feb 1917

So a drifter is a trawler of sorts

Roop

Thanks, it is marvellous how it suddenly becomes clear once someone writes it out. The bottom half is completely empty. “Paid War Gratuity” are the lowest words on the document.

I ordered the record expecting to see a date of death, but I cannot see anything like that.

Tony.

This is the service register for Arthur Roodhouse's service in the Royal Navy; the trawler section and number 14802DA both refer to the Royal Naval Reserve (whose records are completely separate and not online). As he didn't die on RN service, there is not a record of his death on this sheet.

Tony

This may be a simple scanning error at CWGC in which case it should be a doddle to put right.

If not, you will probably have to gather together some additional information to prove the correct spelling to the Commission's satisfaction (not an easy task, I can assure you). Death certificate would be a good starting point if it comes to that.

I suggest you send what you've got to to CWGC and see what comes back. Make it easy for them and suggest "up front" that they probably have a scanning error as evidenced by your documentation. If its not good enough they'll tell you pretty quickly.

Thanks everyone.

Terry, it is good to know that it has been dealt with. The link I posted to the CWGC entry for Arthur Rockhouse now leads to Arthur Roodhouse.

The separate records for men transferred to the Royal Naval Reserve is an interesting piece of information, something to look into in the future when the main research is finished.

Thanks again,

Tony.