Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Exemptions From Service - "Reserved Occupations"

Essexboy68

Hello

One of paternal great grandfathers, Albert Edward (or maybe Edward Albert) Pooley, served in the Coldstream Guards during the Boer War (I am not sure how long he served for, maybe he signed on for the duration only, I do not know), & later returned home to London where he became a taxi driver. My late grandmother told me that he was excused service in WW1 (I now assume this to be 1916 or later, unless he was recalled as an ex-regular) on the grounds of his occupation, saying he was driving medical personnel around London.

What I would like to find out is would London Taxi drivers have been exempted from conscription, or are there records (he would have been living in the West/East Ham area at that time I believe) detailing the men in his area who were excused conscription? Also, if he was recalled as an ex-regular subject to a reserve obligation, would there be a record of that? I understand that any records (including the QSA & KSA medal rolls) for the Guards Division are not stored at Kew.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hello

I have the Coldstream Gds medal rolls for the QSA. And the medal rolls are stored at the NA (Kew)

WO 100 164 for the QSA and WO 100 318 for the KSA

Whats his number etc and Ill see what I can do for you.

Ian

Ian

Hello again, you did kindly give me the details for my relative's QSA before (but stupidly, I failed to record the info, & when I tried to search for the post, I couldn't find it).

Unfortunately, I do not have his details (although my father has suggested his cousin, who was the son of his oldest son, may actually have the medals as well as a picture of him in uniform), but seem to recall you found him as Pte E A Pooley (spelling may be Poolley).

If you are kind enough to find the information for me again, I will promise to take a note of it!!! Would you have any idea if his records will have survived, I know a lot were destroyed or damaged when the cahpel was hit in WW2?

Out of interest, I was told once that he helped with some form of field kitchen during WW2, & was congratulated by an inspecting officer who rightly guessed he was an ex-guardsman based on the condition of the equipment!

Thanks

Mark

P.S not a follower of football, but out of family loyalty I watched the FA Cup, cheering on Hammers - We Was Robbed!!!

Hello

I though it looked familular

I will check him out tommorow.

His records will be at the RHQ , Birdcage Walk, London (see previous threads if not i will find the whole address)

Ian

And I wanted West Ham to win as they did the Gooners a favour last week :lol:

Hello

he is

9792 E A Pooley -QSA bars Belmont, Modder River , Driefontein and Transvaal

Ian

Ian

Many thanks for the info, this time I have saved it! Do you think he would have qualified for the KSA too?

So, doesn't anybody have any ideas in reply to my original question regarding service exemptions or reserved occupations?

Cheers

Mark

I have a copy of the Military Service Act 1916 Certified Occupations. It lists occupations concerned with Omnibusses and Tramways, but not taxis. And strangely it mentions nothing about medical occupations (or occupations connected to them).

If the Guardsman in question was present at Modder River (January 1900), I suspect that he enlisted no later than the middle of 1899, with an earlier date being more likely. Given a standard enlistment created an obligation to serve for a total of 12 years (with the colours and reserve), he would have been discharged sometime before the middle of 1911. Such a discharge brought with it complete exemption from conscription.

Richard & Bruce

Many thanks for your input. I was aware that the medical professions were not exempted from conscription per se, but have also read where nurses were prevented from travelling overseas. I was unaware of those involved in public transport being exempted (although, it could explain why another great-grandfather didn't serve, I know that he worked on the railways at some stage). I had certainly never heard that those who reserve obligation had expired were exempted from conscription, but that would ring true with my relative not having served in WW1. Quite when he enlisted & was discharged I do not know, although I know my late grandmother (1 of 4, & I think the 2nd) was born in 1907, & I am pretty sure he was not serving then.

As regards his service, I definitely need to approach Dad's cousin & the Guard's Division at Birdcage Walk in London.

Many Thanks

Hello

Dont have a KSA roll sorry

And the number could mean he joined around May 1894 but my records are sketchy before the Boer war

Ian

Ian

Once again, many thanks for your information, I am always astounded by what I can find out from the Forum, & hope everyone else has such happy experiences.

Thanks

Mark

Men were exempted from Military Service after having appealed to a Tribunal. They themselves could appeal, or their employer could.

There is no reason that a man driving wounded soldiers and/or medical officers etc would not have been exempt. I think a lot depended on how 'pushed' the army was for men, how strong his case was, and also the attitude of the Military Representative on the Tribunal.

Try a search of this site for a case I have mentioned before in the "Baker Pals". A man from Brighton working in a clothes shop. His employer said that he was essential to the business. All the other male members of staff were in the forces, and had been replaced with women. This man was the only member of staff who could possibly take the mens inside leg measurements!

What did you do in the war Daddy???

Such a discharge brought with it complete exemption from conscription.

Conscription wasn't introduced until 1916. Before that recruitment was through volunteers and he might have thought that he'd done his bit. If he had not been accepted (or wanted) to serve for his 21 years service, the eager volunteers of 1914 would have elbowed their way past him.

Hello

Glad to help out.

You have to ask the question or you'll never get an answer. Some times you get lucky and some you dont

Its a happy place - hilarious sometimes - especially the person who was too busty (busy) to reply - the best typo in the world - so funny got Mrs C to look at the thread too :lol:

Ian

Ian

Once again, many thanks for your information, I am always astounded by what I can find out from the Forum, & hope everyone else has such happy experiences.

Thanks

Mark