Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A novice to World War and I have just read.....

Guest Messenger Marshall

Guest Messenger Marshall

I have just finished reading my first book on the world war one (factual book that is) - by Winston Groom - A Storm in Flanders. Its actually written with an American audience in mind, which is actually great for someone like me as it explains lots of things that would of gone over my head. I simply could not put it down. The book details the war in Flanders - from the decisions made high up to the generals and then to the battlefields. It takes in the experiences of the British and the Germans and gives diary accounts from ordinary soilders to add to the detail of the battles. It gives a real oversight into the horrific conditions that solders found themselves in to the high politics and strategies that went on behind the scenes.

Its incredibly moving to say the least and there is a series of photographs to accompany the writing as well as the poetry of the first world war.

Section from a diary used in the book to highlight conditions in Polygon wood

"Lieutenant Alfred J. Angel wrote, "I came across a young boy, a teenage, his fiest time in the line, 'sobbing and crying. He ws crying for his mothe. It was pathetic really. He just kept saying over and over again, 'Oh mum, Oh mum, I want my mum. Angel tried to reason with him but to no avail, and becme concerned that his behaviour would panic the other troops. Finally he slapped his face, 'hard as I could'. This produced the desired effect, and one of Lieutenants Angel's corporals said 'I think I can manage him now sir. Well, he took that boy in his arms, just as if he ws a small child, and when I crawled back a little later to see if all was well, they were both lying there asleep, and the corporal still had his arms around the boy - mud, accoutrements and all. At zero hour, they both went over together.

.... the fight had cost the British army more than 15,000 casualties for a gain of less than three-quarters of a mile. Among them were Lieutenants Angel boy-soilder who had cried for his mum, riddled with bullets, and the corporal that had held him in his arms, shot dead...."

Taken from page 202 and page 206 of Winstons Groom - A storm in Flanders

A very moving book ---

MM

moving indeed, how sad. Last night I fell asleep with my young son, who was in tears after having had a nightmare. To read of a corporal doing the same for a boy not much older, and the results, brings home what a waste it was. Thanks for posting this MM

That exact account crops up in Lyn Macdonald's They Called It Passchendaele, only she states the boy was only wounded and returned to his mum. The Corporal was killed out right, corporal Merton 2/4th London Btn. Royal Fusiliers, I do believe.

Incidentally Lieutenant Alfred Angel was severly wounded in that attack and lost an eye and was know as Nelson thereafter.