Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

poperinge from Ieper

Guest Messenger Marshall

Guest Messenger Marshall

Wanting to get a train from Iepers to Poperinge - or alternatively to cycle from Ieper to Poperinge (want to visit Talbot House) Any suggestions - I have had a look at the Belguim train info and nothing is coming up - but I know tha Poperinge is on a train line. Also has anyone cycled along to the town (its about 8 miles I believe)

Thanks

MM

Guest Galatea

Theres an hourly service departing Ypres at 21 mins past the hour and returning from Poperinge at 31 mins past the hour. Journey takes 7 minutes. Service is the same on Sundays.

Davie.

MM

I first visited the Battlefields in 1989, that was by bike. Started at Dunkirk and worked our way down to "Pop", then Wipers, along Messines Ridge,Neuve Chapelle, Loos, Vimy, Arras then across to Etaples then home via Boulogne. Ended up on a motorway once, oops!

One of the best trips I've done. You get to see more by bike. You can get a better feel of the landscape than by car. Slogging along those long straight Roman roads with a laden bike helps appreciate the route marhes the troops did.

Make sure you keep you water bottle filled up.

Have a great time and hope to see some of you photos when you return.

Owen.

I used to travel on the Pop/Ieper train quite a lot when I first visited the Salient. My wife and I did the journey a couple of years ago and I don't think they'd cleaned the train since my last jaunt in 1993. It was very punctual though. Fully agree with positive views about touring the Salient by bike.

We did our first journey round Ypres on bikes, never again!!!! that was 20 yeards ago, after 15 years of not riding. I have not been back on a bike more than 3 times since! Prefer to walk but use the car to get starting off points!

Mandy

Guest Messenger Marshall

Thanks for all your advice and comments - will certainly look at the 'eating place' suggestion - and for the train times etc.... If the weather is nice we will definatly bike it! Will let you all know how we got on and will post some pics on the site when we get back.

Hi

As far as the eating suggestions go, try these places..all excellent.

Poussecafe (Ieperstraat 45a), just down from the train satation. Excellent beers and food. English spoken very well. Just over the road you have the Palace Hotel. Again excellent food and a very extensive beer menu. He is a member of CAMRA.

Just down from the Toc H, on the corner nearest the square, you have the excellent Cafe De Paix. Highly recommend them all.

Cheers

Marc.

You can always get the bus from either Ieper Station (leaves about 10 past the hour or nearest to), then train or bus back.

Its the number 60 says ABELE on the front only costs a couple of euro.

Easy to bike just a straight road - should take you about half an hour - 40 mins depending how fit you are.

De Ranke in the square is a good place to eat, also Cafe De Prix on the corner just walking up to Talbot House. Good Irish Pub in the town as well.

Have a good trip

Regards

Liz

Guest Messenger

Just want to say a big thank you for all your suggestions etc.. on this. I am also now known as simply 'Messenger' as I have had to re-register. I have had to buy a new PC after my old one died suddenly and for the life of me could not remember my log in details, no matter how long I tried! Buts its still ME! I shall make sure to let you know how it went after next week!