Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sur. Lt. Stanley Robertson MB.CHB

gnr.ktrha

:) Hello,

Does anyone have any information on this officer ? He graduated from Glasgow University and became a Dental Surgeon in Mussleburgh or Edinburgh, after the war.

From a press notice about him, it states that he was at the action at Coronel in 1914. After the war he was in the RAF for a short period.

Any information would be great,

Thanks for looking,

Stewart

:) Hello,

Does anyone have a Naval List which would give some details of the date of his commission or service ? Is there any resources online?

Thanks once again,

Stewart

Stewart

The Glasgow University Roll of Honour here shows that he served in the Royal Navy

Stewart

The Glasgow University Roll of Honour here shows that he served in the Royal Navy

Hi,

He was serving in HMS Campania in 1917 and HMS Icarus in Oct1918. If he was serving with the RNAS on 31st March 1918 he would have automatically been transferred to the RAF the following day, which probably accounts for mention of the RAF. Men who were so transferred had the option to revert some time later, I'm afraid I can't remember the period. I havn't got access to Navy Lists at present.

Hope this helps

Duncan

Hello Duncan,

Thank you very much for your post, it was very good of you to look him up. It's great to hear where he was posted. Thanks Stephen for the link to the University site. A friend has a copy of the book that it is based on, but it's a pitty they do not give more detail on his service.

I have found him on the Gazette web site as a captain in the RAF Medical Branch in 1919. His time in the RAF must have been spent at ''home'' as his medals were issued and named to him as a Sur. Lt. RN

Regards,

Stewart

Icarus was the RNAS base at Scarpa Flow. As the RNAS/ RAF that took over from them were flying anti submarine patrols, a home posting still involved a war zone, just as if he had been a surgeon to a home defence squadron.

HMS Campania was an early aircraft carrier, based at Scarpa.

If he was at Coronel, he was lucky to survive!

Hello

Temporary Surgeon Robertson, commission on 5 August 1914, is shown as being assigned to OTRANTO on 11 August 1914. Note, this AMC was commissioned on 11 August and the entire crew is shown as assigned between 4 and 11 August.

All best

don

Hello :)

Thank you all for this information, it's all been very interesting. If I get a chance later, I will post the information he gave to the newspapers. I would not have liked to have been on the OTRANTO with all those hugh German ships after me. it always surprizes me that it was one of the ones that managed to get away.

Regards

Stewart