Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abele-French or Belgian?

Mark Hone

My wife and I stopped in the village of Abele on a recent bicycle tour of the Salient. It's an odd place as one side of the main street seems to speak Flemish and the other side French. The border appears to run right through the town. Who do they pay taxes to and who provides local services etc?

Mark.

Going off the 1:50,000 IGN map "Ieper" (27-28-36), Abele is three quarters in Belgium. Being "X" shaped, the southern segment of the "X" is France, the rest is Belgium.

The French border lies on the south part of,and follows,the N333 and turns southwards at the cross roads in the village centre, following the S.E. road (D 10?).

As for who pays taxes where, etc. No idea!!! :D

Dave

There is a cemetery there Abele airfield, think it's in France but really I do not know. Plot 1 is empty, there were 80+ US there from 27 & 30 Divs KIA near there September 29, 30 or near that period near vierstraat where their monument is by the main road. They were moved to Flanders Field US cemetery near Oudenarde and I am sure some brought to US.

Silent Cities has Abele Aerodrome Cemetery as being in Belgium.

It's also shown on the IGN maps as being in Belgium,being north of the N38 and N333 which is the border.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

I thought the town was in France... proves what I know. I do know that Rose Coombs mentions extensive graffiti in the great barn at Remi Farm, apparently French as well as British. I was always curious if you could get in a have alook around though.

Andy

Abele is half Belgian, half French. The church is in France, the vicar is Belgian. The border is sometimes in the middle of the main street. So the left side is French - the right side is Belgian (Poperinge - Steenvoorde).

post-4-1098864413.jpg