Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ahhhh help with medal card

sazzy

:huh: where shall i start yes its that bad i eventually found the medal card i was looking for but now i don't understand it!!

what is

'cause of discharge'--18 392[881]A

A-D(maybe a o)29/1919

action taken 'ListR.E/3806deleted from list RE/3952' why would they delete him(william carter 86390 sapper re) from?

next section different card maybe

victory lel108 B99 page 10057

15star lel108cl page c/58/7

remarks cl 7 (or z maybe)18/02/19

victory RE/101 B84 page 17847

victoryRE/101B58 page 12156

sub list RE/810

hope i haven't confused you all as much as me i have typed in various numbers at the NA web site but haven't found a thing!card is very bad to read and i'm rubbish on the computer bad combination!!

also one last thing what did a 'pioneer' do RE regiment number 116013

whew that enough

any help deeply apreciated

sarah

It would seem that he made more than one application for the SWB & consequently one was later deleted.[That or possibly a Badge was issued in error & the Roll was amended~By accquiring both Roll Pages {From the SWB List References} you may discover more]

There is a list of causes of Discharge on the Long Long Trail~Reseaerching Grandad's War~Silver War Badge,Link @ the head of this Forum

The 1914~15 star & Victory & BWM references refer to the Medal Roll pages{held @ the NA}which were used in conjunction with the MiCs to issue the medals

Class "Z" is transfer to the Reserve;on the date given;@ the cessation of hostilities prior to final discharge,

A Pioneer or Sapper,were both terms being used as names for Private Soldiers in the RE

It would seem that he made more than one application for the SWB & consequently one was later deleted.[That or possibly a Badge was issued in error & the Roll was amended~By accquiring both Roll Pages {From the SWB List References} you may discover more]

There is a list of causes of Discharge on the Long Long Trail~Reseaerching Grandad's War~Silver War Badge,Link @ the head of this Forum

The 1914~15 star & Victory & BWM references refer to the Medal Roll pages{held @ the NA}which were used in conjunction with the MiCs to issue the medals

Class "Z" is transfer to the Reserve;on the date given;@ the cessation of hostilities prior to final discharge,

A Pioneer or Sapper,were both terms being used as names for Private Soldiers in the RE

THANKS FOR FAST REPLY WOULD HIS MEDAL CARD TELL ME IF HE WAS KILLED IN ACTION I HAVE SEARCHED THE CGWC AND CAN@T FIND HIM IS THIS A GOOD SIGN?

SARAH

As he was Discharged Unfit for further Military service{SWB List/Etc}it is probable that he survived;@ least until after the "cut off" dates of the CWGC listings,in the early 1920s,{Though obviously many "Discharged" Men who were seriously injured or Ill,would have died between date of Discharge & these dates & consequently also have been CWGC Commemorated}

Medal index cards do not always have KiA {or other} notification on them,it often depends on the Clerk responsible

As he was Discharged Unfit for further Military service{SWB List/Etc}it is probable that he survived;@ least until after the "cut off" dates of the CWGC listings,in the early 1920s,{Though obviously many "Discharged" Men who were seriously injured or Ill,would have died between date of Discharge & these dates & consequently also have been CWGC Commemorated}

Medal index cards do not always have KiA {or other} notification on them,it often depends on the Clerk responsible

thanks again looks like more sleepless nights searching!

your replys are gratefully recieved

sarah ;)

Sarah

For the most part you can only search the medals rolls and SWB (Silver War Badge) rolls at the National Archives at Kew. So you'll have to go there or get a look up.

Sarah

For the most part you can only search the medals rolls and SWB (Silver War Badge) rolls at the National Archives at Kew. So you'll have to go there or get a look up.

thanks i'm on to it

sarah