Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/6th Sherwood Foresters 21 March 1918 or

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi All,

I have recently discovered 2 soldiers on my fathers side of the family who were killed March 1918.

Private Charles Wilson Else 7th Leics 22/03/1918

Private John Adey 2/6th Sherwood Foresters 21/03/1918

Does anyone have any idea what the Battalions were involved in at this time? I think it is safe to say that it was the beginning of the German Offensive but if i could find out that would be great.

Thanks

Anthony

Here is the War Diary entry for that time - you're right it was the German spring offensive which hit the 2/6th and 2/7th very badly

post-4619-1148124363.jpg

By the way a 70590 Pte John Adey served with "A" Coy and was originally posted as missing (info from Regt Archives) - same man?

Can e-mail rest of War diary which has quite a bit of detail in appendix (just over 1Mb) - drop me a line with your e-mail address off-forum

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, i have sent you a PM

Thanks

Anthony,

The 7/Leicesters were holding the left hand section of 110 Brigade sector on the morning of 21st March. (This stretched from Pezieres to Epehy.) They and the 8/Leicesters (right hand sector) reinforced by the reserve battalion (6/Leicesters) were still holding the two villages on the morning of 22nd, when the remnents were ordered to withdraw. (Pezieres was lost and retaken by 7th on 21st, with the aid of a couple of tanks.)

More details can be found in "The Tigers" by Matthew Richardson, published by Pen & Sword, Barnsley.

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

Great, thank you