Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS - 30/7/1918

Cnock

Hello,

I would like to know if RNAS Sqns, flying Sopwith Camels, scored victories on 30/7/1918 in the coastal region of Flanders.

Thanks and regards,

Cnock

Cnock,

If you mean "Ex RNAS " squadrons, Captain Gossip and Lt HH Blanchard of 204 Squadron RAF both claimed Fokker D7s as out of control when they attacked a formation of five south of Blankenburgh.

I don't have any information for 213 Squadron on that day.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Yes, of course I meant ex-RNAS.

I have proof that on 30/7/1918 an Albatros DVa of Seefrontstaffel Nieuwmunster was shot down.

6 Camels attacked the last Albatros of a Kette, coming in high from the opposite direction.

Regards,

Cnock

Shot down is a question mark to me, but Lt. Wieland was shot in his leg during battle. I find no confirmation that he had to do a forced landing...

On the 31st there was a serious air battle as the Seefrosta seems to have run into two groups of 5 Sopwith in which 2 planes got damaged and one of them had to do a forced landing on the beach near Mariakerke. No claims were made or given to any Seefrosta personnel that day. There was also a Schusta 2 loss and a loss in the Fernaufklärungsstaffel of the Seefrosta that day.

Hello,

It was indeed Leutnant WIELAND, and the action took part near Nieuwpoort.(30/7/1918)

He was lucky he managed to bring his plane back, regarding to his severe legwound and the damage inflicted to his plane. Afterwards his foot had to be amputated.

Regards,

Cnock

As is confirmed in the Tätigkeitsberichte. However the fact that his foot was amputated is new to me. May I ask fot the source of this ?

Best from Johan

OK, Albatros DV.

From my very limited records for 213 Squdron:

Captain Maurice Lea Cooper claimed an Albatros DV out of control near Bruges at 11.50

Captain John William Pinder claimed an Albatros DV out of control, 5 miles southwest of Ostende at 12.05

I would state that I have no idea if these were 213 Squadron's only claims on the 30th July 1918.

Mike

Hello Mike,

OK, I think we have our pilot, namely Captain John PINDER, as WIELAND stated that he was attacked at 12.00 hrs.

The area of Nieuwpoort can be situated SW of Ostend.

WIELAND went effectively out of control at a height of 4.500 m, and the British fighter did not pursuit.

Thanks for the research!

Best regards,

Cnock