Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Rolls

shinglma

Hello

The topic title says it all really. Does anyone know how many volumes of medal rolls there are in total.

A breakdown by type of medal would be better still. :lol:

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

The medal rolls go up to WO 329/3272, I know that there are some rolls that are a & b, so I guess that takes it up to 3,333+ adding in the rolls for naval services. That includes SWB & TFWM.

Mike,

Don't know how many there are in total, but the Northumberland Fusiliers have 50 volumes of BWM & Victory Medal and 23 volumes of related the SWB Lists. As for the 1914/15 Star Rolls, it's something I've never used and so couldn't tell you.

Graham.

Mike

If you go to The Catalogue and browse from WO329/1 you can count them right through, and see how many of each there are. You'll need a big piece of paper! :lol:

Sue

Im slowly collecting the VM & Star Rolls for the Bedfords & can confirm there are over 1000 pages for that Rgt alone. Considering they were a relatively small Rgt when compared to some others, it wouldnt surprise me if the total ran to four figures, although thats a guesstimate of course.

Why? Thinking about collecting them?!!! Phew ...

The Cambridgeshire Regiment 1914~15 Star Roll has 88 pages,& obviously doesn't include any men who transferred to other Units{except Suffolk R},which equates to around 730 men.This was only a 1 Bn Regiment{for Overseas Service} I dread to think what some of the Multi Battalion Regiments have?

Thanks to all for your replies - apologies for not getting back sooner but i've been away for a few days.

The concensus of opinion seems to be 'lots'. I was just curious if anyone had seen an overall figure as i can't recall ever seeing one.

thanks for all your help.

Mike

If you go to The Catalogue and browse from WO329/1 you can count them right through, and see how many of each there are. You'll need a big piece of paper! :lol:

Sue

Sue

you've seen through me - that's what I was trying to avoid!

:lol:

Im slowly collecting the VM & Star Rolls for the Bedfords & can confirm there are over 1000 pages for that Rgt alone. Considering they were a relatively small Rgt when compared to some others, it wouldnt surprise me if the total ran to four figures, although thats a guesstimate of course.

Why? Thinking about collecting them?!!! Phew ...

I was thinking about getting photocopies...

B)

Mike