Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translation please re:Mr Joseph Caux

SHARONCMAUD

Could anyone please translate this into english please.

Medalle Commemorative de la grande guerre Loi du 23 Juin 1920

Cettee medaille sera accordee a tout militaire on marin present sous les drapeaux ou a bord des batiments armees par l'Etat, entre le 2 Aout 1914 et le 11 Novembre 1918, ainsi qu'aux marins du Commerce et aux infirmieres, infirmiers, medicins, pharmaciens, administrateurs benevoles ayant servi entre ces memes dates aux armees ou a l'interieur, et aux gardes civils, agents de police et sapeurs-pompiers des villes bombardees - Auront egalement droit a la Medaille Commemorative, les dames employees comme automobilistes, telephonistes er secretaires dans des formations organiques des armees relevant du commandement en chef, a la condition qu'elles aient rempli ces fonctions pendant au moins six mois.

Mr Joseph Caux, Soldat au 328 Regiment L'Infanterie. Blesse auz Eparges le 8 Oct 1914 et le 16 Mars 1916

Glorieux Combollare de le Grande Guerre

Belgique marise??? - Somme verdun

Does anyone out there recognise this sort of picture - why the picture of the 3 Lions and RF - also what medals were attached

Red White and Blue ribbon Green and red Red & White (Narrow) Red and white (Broad)

Yours in appreciation - also if anyone knows the history of Joseph Caux and why this would show up in Northern England, anything no matter how small would help.

post-10587-1147376700.jpg

I have tried my best using school French from about 25 years ago, there are a few words I do not know which are enclosed within [ ].

Commemorative Medal of the Great War Law of June 23 1920 [Cettee] medal will be [accordee] has all military officer one sailor present under the flags or has edge of the abatements armies by the state, between the 2 August 1914 and November 11 1918, as well as to the sailors of the Commerce and to the infirmaries, nurses, medicines, pharmacists, administrators [benevoles] having served between these [memes] date to the armies of police and firemen of the cities bombarded - Will have straight engagement have the Commemorative Medal, the ladies employed as motorists, telephonists and secretaries in organic formations of the armies raising order in boss, have the condition that they filled these functions during at least six months.

Mr Joseph Caux, Soldier to the 328 Regiment THE INFANTRY. Injured Les Eparges the 8 Oct 1914 and March 16 1916 Glorious [Combollare] of the Great War

Belgium Marise??? - Sum verdun

Hope this helps

SharonMaud,

It's French - RF stands for République Française = French Republic.

I know nothing about medals, but suspect that this is the French equivalent of the British War Medal.

The text reads:

Great War Commemorative Medal - Law of 23 June 1920

This medal shall be awarded to soldiers and sailors who served under the colours or aboard one of the State’s ships between 2 August 1914 and 11 November 1918, also to merchant seamen, nurses, orderlies, doctors, pharmacists, and voluntary aid workers who served between the same dates with the Armies or in the interior, and to the civil guards, police officers and firefighters of towns which were bombarded. Also entitled to receive the Commemorative Medal are ladies employed as drivers, telephonists and secretaries in constituent units of Armies under the Supreme Command, provided that they performed those duties for at least six months.

Joseph Caux, soldier of the 328th Infantry Regiment. Wounded at Les Eparges, 8 October 1914 and 16 March 1916

Glorious ???? of the Great War

Belgium - Marise - Somme - Verdun

I think the word 'Combollare' is wrong, but can't think what it should be. Could you please check the spelling.

regards

Mick

I think the word 'Combollare' is wrong, but can't think what it should be. Could you please check the spelling.

regards

Mick

Thank you Mick - Constellar ??? could this be right - Appreciatetively, Sharon.

Sharon,

'Constellar' doesn't make sense either. If you have a high-resolution image of the certificate, could you e-mail it to me ?

Mick

- also what medals were attached

Red White and Blue ribbon Green and red Red & White (Narrow) Red and white (Broad)

Going off the "shadow" of the medals and the ribbons , the "Green and red" is the Croix du Guerre, the "red and White (narrow) should actually be pale blue and red (probably faded) - this is the "Croix du Combattants", and the "red and white (broad)" is the actual "medaille commemorative..." itself.

The "red White and Blue" is a mystery to me, but one medal is missing from the group - the Interallied Victory medal (which may (or may not) be the medal missing from the RWB ribbon you mention - it was more of a "rainbow" effect , but, if faded, could resemble RWB).

Dave.

- also what medals were attached

to see the actual medals CLICK HERE.

Dave.

Sharon,

'Constellar' doesn't make sense either. If you have a high-resolution image of the certificate, could you e-mail it to me ?

Mick

hope this is good enough to read ...

post-10587-1147389208.jpg

post-10587-1147389268.jpg

to see the actual medals CLICK HERE.

Dave.

Would you assume this man was French ? I have tried typing the name in my search engine, and America comes up, is it possible to tell from his number 328?? he survived the war so is not listed on CWGC, two of the ribbons are not shown on the link- WOMEN - EH !!! just plain nosey....

Would you assume this man was French ? I have tried typing the name in my search engine, and America comes up, is it possible to tell from his number 328?? he survived the war so is not listed on CWGC, two of the ribbons are not shown on the link-

In order of questioning... :D

The man is definately French - He has French medals, belonged to a French Regiment, has a French name (I had an ID tag to a man with the same name!), the certificate shows French national symbols, he was wounded at a place where only the French (and germans!) were fighting at the time and the certificate is written in French - it's pretty conclusive really.

He wouldn't be listed on CWGC even if he did die - he's French, not British or Empire/Commonwealth (try Sepultures du guerre website instead). If he died, I believe he would have also been awarded the Medaille Militaire posthumously also.

The ribbons are all on the link (the Croix de Guerre is on another page - linked at the top of the page that you have seen) - the "red white and blue" ribbon looks like a faded Victory medal ribbon to me and the "white and red (narrow)" is almost definately a faded croix du combattants ribbon. Which two were you meaning?

Dave.

Sharon,

The mystery word is 'Combattant', so "Glorieux Combattant de la Grande Guerre", which means something like "Glorious Veteran of the Great War".

There is no doubt that Monsieur Caux is/was as French as Camembert!

Mick

In order of questioning... :D

The man is definately French - He has French medals, belonged to a French Regiment, has a French name (I had an ID tag to a man with the same name!), the certificate shows French national symbols, he was wounded at a place where only the French (and germans!) were fighting at the time and the certificate is written in French - it's pretty conclusive really.

He wouldn't be listed on CWGC even if he did die - he's French, not British or Empire/Commonwealth (try Sepultures du guerre website instead). If he died, I believe he would have also been awarded the Medaille Militaire posthumously also.

The ribbons are all on the link (the Croix de Guerre is on another page - linked at the top of the page that you have seen) - the "red white and blue" ribbon looks like a faded Victory medal ribbon to me and the "white and red (narrow)" is almost definately a faded croix du combattants ribbon. Which two were you meaning?

Dave.

Thank you Thank you - that clears that up - doesn't it make you wonder how they end up for sale in Lancashire?? it came in the frame with the glass and original string all for ONE english pound !! It is truly disgraceful !! The medals weren't attached, which I am pleased about, otherwise I would have had to pay a lot more !! I love this website - travelling around the country to flea markets searching for things like this - all help me in my quest to find out as much as I can regarding all these wonderful men and women that died so we could live happily together, to be discussing them 90 years later is wonderful - would they have ever believed the world we live in today - computers, the internet, television, duvets, central heating, divorce, single parents, people of colour!!!!, can we ever thank them enough.

Sharon,

The mystery word is 'Combattant', so "Glorieux Combattant de la Grande Guerre", which means something like "Glorious Veteran of the Great War".

Mick

what are the three animals in the top left corner - is this a french symbol ?? - i was thinking three lions !!! i stand corrected

Sharon,

Heraldry is a bit out of my league, but I would hazard a guess that they are 'leopards couchant' (crouching leopards). The English 'Three Lions' are sometimes described as 'leopards couchant' and came from France originally, but I suspect these particular beasts are also as French as Camembert.

I have googled around a few French sites and established that the 328th Infantry Regiment was based at Amiens and that an official history of the Regiment (in French, naturally) does exist.

As for how Monsieur Caux's medal certificate found its way to Lancashire, I would guess that someone bought it in a flea market in France.

Must go to bed now, as I have a plumber coming at 8am!

Mick

Sharon,

Mick

Well spotted Mick, it does look like combattant :)