Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My 6/Manchester CSM queries

John_Hartley

Pals may have seen my three recent threads relating to a CSM in 6/Manchester.

I think the story is now sorted out and I’d like to thank the folk who have made it possible – in particular, Mike (shinglma) and Roy (themonsstar) for National Archives look-ups and Steve (Stebie9173) for his forensic skills in finding the vital on-line records. A “virtual pint” is now behind the bar for all three – but they’ll have to share the pork scratchings.

This story started with my Hellfire Corner article about Tom Worthington, in which I recounted that, at some point at Gallipoli, Tom had carried his CSM, who had a serious head wound, to a dressing station, possibly saving his life. The description of the wound and the fact that the CSM was 6’ 4” tall prompted a descendent to contact me to say this must be CSM John Hurdley and, in spite of me starting a red herring that it might have been a CSM Hartley (no relation), I am now sure that it was, indeed, John.

John was wounded during the “Manchester Brigade” attack on 4 June 1915 and, although partly paralysed, continued to urge the men on, refusing to be taken to the rear. It was, no doubt, later in the day that he made his way back to relative safety before collapsing and being discovered by Worthington. For his actions on 4 June, John was awarded the DCM. He was also awarded the Russian Cross of St George (2nd Class) and was Mentioned in Despatches.

John was never able to return to duty. His skull was mended with a metal plate and, for the rest of his life, he had to wear a calliper to support his left foot as a result of the brain damage. He became a leading light in the Boy Scouts movement in Greater Manchester. On his retirement, he became ordained as an Anglican minister and died, at the age of 83, in 1959. His medals remain with the family.

John’s descendent wishes me to pass on his thanks to everyone. And, once again, thanks from me – you really are the best.

John

I'll let Roy and Mike have the scratchings, thanks John, but cheers for the pint. Always happy to help.

Steve.