Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment Numbers

Guest Lainey

Guest Lainey

Could someone please tell me how I find out what someones Regiment Number was in WW1

Frederick Taylor was a Sapper in the RE

Leslie Taylor was a Pte in the Devonshire & Dorsetshire Regts

William Taylor was a Private in the 3rd Hampshire Regiment

They all survived, one lost an eye and spent a great deal of time in hospital at Chelmsford, Epson and Netley, one received shell shock and was invalided home and de-mobbed in 1919, the other was unable to secure a transfer overseas and was engaged on home service, later was drafted to India and served there until 1920.

Unfortunately I do not have their medals which I am told would have their regiment numbers on.

I would like to look at their service/medical records at Kew (or online) but it would narrow the search down considerably if I knew their regiment number.

Many thanks

Lainey

If William (I assume it was William) did not go overseas he would not have an entitlement to medals and therefore no MIC.

Steve.

Guest Lainey

Thanks for the info but there are quite a few Frederick Taylors in the RE's who were Sappers how can I find out what my GGrandfathers regiment number was ?

Many thanks

Lainey

If William (I assume it was William) did not go overseas he would not have an entitlement to medals and therefore no MIC.

It is possible that if he was later posted to India, as suggested, then he would have been entitled to the BWM and as such would have a MIC, provided he met the criteria for the award of course.

Steve

I notice no link has been posted for Leslie Taylor's MIC's, possibly the easiest one to identify if you know his middle name as there are only three with a 'Devonshire' association, none of these has a 'Dorsetshire' association though.

Link to the cards is Here

Steve