Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

thomas Foster

bernadine nisbet

I am trying to fond out about my Dads brother Thomas Foster1894 he was killed in the great war the only thing I know is that his father was named Thomas his motherMary and they lived down Park Lane Liverpool1 I have a slight notion my dad mentioning Seaforth Highlanders could that be right when he was from Liverpool? I'm sorry I dont know anymore as there is nobody left to ask.Is it possible to trace hpm with just his parents name? Thanks Bernadine

Bernadine

I've had a look at the on-line Medal Index Cards at the National Archives and at the War Graves Commission website. I can't find a T Foster with that service number serving with any British unit. Are you sure 1894 is the right number - where did you get it from?

John

Details

Surname FOSTER

Firstname Thomas

Service Number 202934

Date Death 31/03/1918

TDecoration

Place of birth Hamilton

Other 4th Bn. formerly 32532 H.L.I.

SNWM roll THE SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Name: FOSTER

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Seaforth Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st/4th

Date of Death: 31/03/1918

Service No: 202934

Awards: MM

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. M. 3.

Cemetery: TOURNAI COMMUNAL CEMETERY ALLIED EXTENSION

I assume he was born in 1894. He also won a Military Medal.

4th Seaforths were in 51st Highland Division.

The Division moved briefly out of the Cambrai battlefield for a rest, but was on its way back again when the enemy unexpected struck on 1 December 1917, recapturing virtually all of the ground gained. It arrived in time to help stem the German attack but had missed the brunt of it.

The Division remained in the area until 21 March 1918, when the enemy launched a huge and overwhelming attack on the fronts of Fifth and Third Armies, the Division being in the latter, near Flesquieres. The defensive front around Flesquieres formed a salient and was strongly held by the British. The enemy decided not to attack it frontally, but instead drenched it with gas while attacking on either side. The pressure grew during the day, and from early evening the Division began a fighting withdrawal that took it over the next few days back several miles, through Beaumetz, towards Bapaume. In fighting a number of critical rearguard actions, the losses built up to a total of over 4,900 men. (The Battle of St Quentin (first phase of the First Battles of the Somme 1918) and The First Battle of Bapaume (second phase of the First Battles of the Somme 1918)).

Aye

Malcolm

Here is the London Gazette entry for the above man's Military Medal.

London Gazette 23-2-1918

202934 Pte. T. Foster, Sea. Highrs. ({E} Hamilton).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

{E} = Enlisted.

No Citations are given for MMs, but the timing would suggest a deed at Cambrai, as Malcolm has mentioned above.

Unfortunately, none of this gives us any Next of Kin details.

Steve.

I assume he was born in 1894.

Doh. Never occured to me that 1894 was a year of birth and not a service number.

J

Bernadine

Without wishing to upset anybody are we sure this soldier is the right one as there is no obvious link between the soldier shown and Liverpool.

To throw a cat amongst the pigeons, and I apologise if I'm way off the mark here, but on CWGC there is this entry for a Thomas Foster, you will note that this Thomas has parents called Annie and William but they are living at Park Lane, Liverpool

FOSTER, THOMAS

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Service No: 252532

Additional information: Son of Annie Foster, of Park Lane, Orrell, Liverpool, and the late William Foster.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 64 to 67.

Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL

This may be purely coincidental but this self same soldier's entry from the SDGW shows his residence as Seaforth, Liverpool.

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Battalion: 2/7th Battalion.

Surname: Foster

Christian Name: Thomas

Born: Fazackerly, Liverpool

Enlisted: Bootle, Lancs

Residence: Seaforth, Liverpool

Number: 252532

Died Date: 21/03/1918

Died How: Killed in action

Theatre of War: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 3319, KING'S LIVERPOOL REGT.

I realise that neither Thomas Foster's birth (1899), nor his Parent's names tie in with that stated but these two details seem highly coincidental and I was just wondering if somewhere along the line family details have become mixed up?

Again I apologise if I'm way off the mark.

Steve

Steve,

You may well have something here. It is a possibility.

Aye

Malcolm

Thank you all so much for your help I did see the other T Foster and it was not him I have checked that out and his parents def were Mary and Thomas my grandparents.I know for a fact he was awarded 2 medals I dont know what for maybe everybody who died automaticaly got one

Thank you all so much for your help I really do appreciate it,I know of the other T Foster but it's not mine his people were def named Mary and Thomas,my grandparents.I remember my Dad saying there were 2 medals in a glass case whatever happened to them I dont know I would of loved to have had them.Im hoping the Brig has the right one I live only45min from Edinburgh and I remember taking my Dad to Edinburgh Castle and he was going to see if he could find a mention of his brother there Does that sound right? Once again many many thanks Bernadine

Thank you all so much for your help I really do appreciate it,I know of the other T Foster but it's not mine his people were def named Mary and Thomas,my grandparents.I remember my Dad saying there were 2 medals in a glass case whatever happened to them I dont know I would of loved to have had them.Im hoping the Brig has the right one I live only45min from Edinburgh and I remember taking my Dad to Edinburgh Castle and he was going to see if he could find a mention of his brother there Does that sound right? Once again many many thanks Bernadine

Bernadine,

Maybe it is necessary to be a bit more 'scientific' in your searches. There were quite a few Thomas Fosters in the army and quite a few as casualties, so unless you have some more specific info it will be hard to track down which is your man.

1) Was he born in Liverpool? If so what district - 1901 census shows a few similarly aged Thomas Fosters, particularly in the Toxteth Park disctrict, likewise for Thomas(sr) and Mary. Were the parents also born in Liverpool. Or were they born in Scotland? Where was your father born?

2) Seaforth Highlanders - looks like just the one Thomas Foster Seaforth casualty as mentioned above. He was born in Hamilton, Scotland. Could that be your grand-uncle's birthplace?

Otherwise, and unless his army service papers survived and you can locate them at Kew, it looks to be difficult to identify the correct serviceman.

Ian