Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New to Research - Please Help

Paul Webb

I have recently unearthed a medal ( Mons Star) belonging to my Great Grandfather, Pte 7045 Walter James Gardner who served with the 1/Gloucesters in Mons in 1914. I have also found a discharge card stating that he was a repatriated POW in 1919 ! also a postcard sent to him as a POW in Munster, Germany by my Great Grandmother. I understand that he entered the theatre of War on 13th August 1914. I would like any info regarding the Gloucesters part in early 1914, and also how would I find any infomation on how to trace how he became a prisoner, where and when. Any help would be graetly appreciated. Thanks

Paul

If you can get hold of a copy of 'The Gloucestershire Regiment in the Great War', by Everard Wyrall (first published in 1931), this will give you a very detailed account of the 1st Glosters' movements in 1914. Unfortunately it does not have a name index for men in the ranks, but as with original War Diaries, it is generally the officers who receive an individual mention (although there are some N.C.O.s & the odd Private named). There is a small chance your relative's service record has survived at the National Archives in Kew (most were destroyed during the Blitz). This should give you the info on where & when he was taken prisoner, but beyond that, you could try the newspaper archive from his home town. The names of soldiers who were killed, wounded or taken prisoner were often published within the local 'War News'.

Nick

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum. I have contacted my mate, he has a list of various Regiments whose men were taken POW, during 1914....He has just got back to me. He says no soldier named Pte 7045 Walter James Gardner serving with the Gloucestershire Regiment was taken POW during 1914. The closest match was 9845, Private, Thomas A Gardner, 1st Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment,. Home address: Turners Court, Church Street, Tewkesbury. He says the Gloucestershire Regiment, had just over 40 men taken POW, during 1914, three of which died in German hands..So it looks like your Great Grandfather must have been taken POW after 1914.

John.

Paul,

The following is what I have in my research notes for Pte Walter James Gardner. Enlisted in 1 Glos Regt 14/4/03 and crossed to France 13/8/14. He was discharged 19/3/19 aged 34 (and was allotted Silver War Badge No 475344). He is listed as associated Neath and a POW in the Cheltenham Echo of 27/3/15 (does not say when he was taken POW).

Promenade

Thank you all for replying, I have found this info facinating and very helpful. If anyone else can help with the following (please excuse my ignorance in this), I am new to this type of research.

when it states ' 'Enlisted in 1 Glos Regt 14/4/03' does that mean he would have been a full time soldier?

'He is listed as associated Neath' - What does this mean.

Thankyou all again for you invaluable help.

Paul

Paul

Yes, he was a full-time soldier. All of the men who crossed to Flanders in August, 1914, were professional, pre-war Regulars. Those who were old enough had seen service in South Africa during the Boer War, & many had also been stationed in India prior to WW1. From memory, I think the 1st Glosters were in India during the first decade of the 20th Century.

Nick

I should have added that some of the contingent which went to Flanders in August, 1914, were Reservists who had served in the army for a period of time, then placed on the 'reserve' in the event of a national emergency. These men were recalled when war was declared.