Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quiz time again

Sue Light

Another attractive woman, but who was she, and who was her famous husband?

She was aristocratic, but not royal; European but not British, and was awarded the Royal Red Cross for her own services to the sick and wounded during the Great War. She married in 1898 and this photo was taken in 1917.

Her husband was a general, and like many generals, was brilliant in parts. He was a household name during the Great War, but has not always been looked on with sympathy and understanding for his actions [but then quite a few come into that category].

She outlived her husband by more than 40 years.

And if I add much more, it will be far too easy!

Sue

Going for the obvious:~

Mrs Haig

or

Mrs Hamilton

???

.... like many generals, was brilliant in parts....

That rules Mrs. Haig out then.

Run away...... :ph34r:

Going for the obvious:~

Mrs Haig

or

Mrs Hamilton

No, neither of those, but coincidentally this man was born in the same year as Haig - I think.

What I know about generals would fit on a pin head. :blink:

Andrew - bad move, mentioning H**g - could start another difficult thread!

Sue

Andrew - bad move, mentioning H**g - could start another difficult thread!

Yep. Still running.....

Can't catch me......

Allenby

Townshend sounds good. But to be different, Wilson or Horne.

Allenby

Nope I still think its Allenby,,,, Daisy Daisy,,, give me your answer do.. Is there a prize?

Mick

Someone has the answer right, but I'd thought I'd just let you suffer a bit longer - and actually there are a couple of men ripping the middle out of my flat at present which is a bit distracting... :(

I will return...

Sue

Henry Wilson ? He was assassinated in 1922 and his wife (French, Cécile ?) died in the 1960s. But he was born in 1864 and Haig was born in 1861.

Mick

In my first post I should have added:

'No suggestions from clever clogs and webmasters' [particularly if combined in one package], but I suppose it's only right and proper that the boss knows more than his minions.

She is Lady Townshend; born Alice Cahen D'Anvers, daughter of Parisian banker Count Louis Cahen D'Anvers and Louise de Morpurgo. And as I've been watching 'The Impressionists' on Sundays, I was interested to see that after being introduced to Renoir, the Count commissioned him to paint his elder daughter Irene in 1880, and later the two younger girls, Elisabeth and Alice. He was not pleased with the results and consigned the paintings to the servants quarters. The portrait of the lovely Irene is below.

Alice died in December 1965.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to when Charles Townshend got back to England after his detention - I was just wondering whether Lady T. looked happy because he was home, or happy because he was still a someone else's problem. :P

Sue

In my first post I should have added:

'No suggestions from clever clogs and webmasters' [particularly if combined in one package], but I suppose it's only right and proper that the boss knows more than his minions.

She is Lady Townshend; born Alice Cahen D'Anvers, daughter of Parisian banker Count Louis Cahen D'Anvers and Louise de Morpurgo. And as I've been watching 'The Impressionists' on Sundays, I was interested to see that after being introduced to Renoir, the Count commissioned him to paint his elder daughter Irene in 1880, and later the two younger girls, Elisabeth and Alice. He was not pleased with the results and consigned the paintings to the servants quarters. The portrait of the lovely Irene is below.

Alice died in December 1965.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to when Charles Townshend got back to England after his detention - I was just wondering whether Lady T. looked happy because he was home, or happy because he was still a someone else's problem. :P

Sue

Its a shame that there is relatively little information on the senior officers families, it must have been incredibly hard for them, although i suppose most were born to it.

Mick

Henry Wilson ? He was assassinated in 1922

Thanks Mick... I hate to say I know almost nothing of all the British personalities after 1919 and I certainly never knew Wilson was assassinated. Putting this down as the fact I learned for today.

BTW... lets keep this between ourselves as it seems like this is a pretty obvious fact to most people. ;)

Andy

Andy,

Wilson was involved in Irish politics and was shot by two IRA men outside his London home as he returned from unveiling the war memorial at Liverpool Street Station.

Mick,

Try 'A Soldier's Wife', Celia Lee's biography of Jean, Lady Hamilton.

regards

Mick

Thanks Mick... I hate to say I know almost nothing of all the British personalities after 1919 and I certainly never knew Wilson was assassinated. Putting this down as the fact I learned for today.

BTW... lets keep this between ourselves as it seems like this is a pretty obvious fact to most people. ;)

Andy

Henry Wilson was the last Field marshall to die armed! When attacked he had only his sword. He truned on his attackers and went to lat into them with the blade but was unfortunately killed.

it must have been incredibly hard for them,

Any harder than for the families of the Other Ranks?

Any harder than for the families of the Other Ranks?

Probably not, but nor any easier :rolleyes: