Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Seamen and fishermen PoWs

Doug Johnson

Pals,

Excellent work by Marcus Bateman? in his web site means that the following transcription of the list of Merchant seamen and fishermen PoWs is now available on line.

http://wanborough.ukuhost.co.uk/POW/POW.asp?name=*

As with any contemporary list the original contains errors omissions and inconsistencies.

Doug

• 9 months later...
Pals,

Excellent work by Marcus Bateman? in his web site means that the following transcription of the list of Merchant seamen and fishermen PoWs is now available on line.

http://wanborough.ukuhost.co.uk/POW/POW.asp?name=*

As with any contemporary list the original contains errors omissions and inconsistencies.

Doug

Does anyone know if a list like this one (excellent, by the way) exist for German merchant seamen taken in France? My grandfather (Herman Horn) was sailing with the "Flying P" line out of Hamburg - they had left in a square rigger for South America - apparently war broke out while they were in transit back FROM South America - they had no idea - and were taken by the French in Le Harve. He was held until the end of hostilities, at which point he was re-patriated. During the second world war he captained fuel ships from the East coast of Pennsylvania to supply American ships in the Pacific. That's about all I know about the man, he passed when I was one or two years old - any links, hints or tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this link and to Marcus, I found a local man, Frank Mitchell, who had been eluding me for some time and there he was. :D