Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal Index

andyspiller

Pals

Just been killing some time on the NA site and found the MM index card for one of my men.

I didn't realise that these were online :angry: .

Any thoughts?

Rgds

Andy

Andy

They've been available since the end of 2004/beginning of 2005, along with DCM's, MSM's, MID's and TFEM/TEM's.

Where've you been? ;)

Steve

They are useful in that they can save a lot of LG searching for multiname{Smith/Brown/White/Etc} MM.DCM,TEFM,Mids etc,as the downloaded Card{or NA obtained} will give the LG Date & Edition Number,as well as the Soldiers Number/Name Rank & sometimes Bn {Regt}/Company{Corps}Battery{Arty}

But as Steve says:~ "Where You Bin Willis??"

Hey guys

Don't forget that I am only interested in my people, so I don't have to visit very often. I had already got copies of the cards on a visit to the NA back in 2001 :) .

Additionally, one card (MIC) was listed under one set of initials whereas the other card showed under a different set. It was only because I trawled through over 300 cards that I came across the MM card.

My man's MIC (not MM) talks about TEM and clasp, is there a seperate set of cards for this or are they just noted on the same set of cards?

Also, is there anything online for the EM(T) award?

Finally it would appear that he was awarded his clasp & roses on 30/3/20. Is this right or am I mis-interpreting the numbers on the card?

From a dumb researcher B)

Rgds

Andy

Andy,

I might have missed it but where exactly are the MM cards or are they mixed with the MICs.

Stuart

Has anybody worked out a way of searching for MMs/DCMs/MSMs, etc only online?

Stuart

The cards are in a separate set of drawers at the NA (but on the same table). Online they are bundled together

Mick

Mixed in with the MICs,

MMs, DCMs and (a bit strangely) Women's Campaign medals are in Series 372/23.

MIDs, TFEM and MSMs are in Series WO372/24

Series WO372/1 to 22 are campaign medals.

You can't search by series but you can at least ID them on the Index.

Steve.

Steve

Just a tip on to aid searching with limited information. What you notice on searching the MIC’s on block is that your potential named man comes up in reverse alphabetical order ie. W Smith appears first then backwards to A Smith. However on the first pages you sometimes get ones that are out of alphabetical sequence, ie you might get a j b Smith before the normal W Smith sequence. These are invariably the other medal cards for MM, MSM ect. DCM cards seem also to come before these. It’s a good way for tracing service numbers of men mentioned in war diaries by name only and who you also know received a MM or such. By getting the number from the MM cards you will undoubtedly also find another normal MIC in the correct alphabetical sequence. Very often one card will have the initials spelt in full and the other type initials only which is why they will not come up together without additional information proffered in the search page. A good example is to look for Sgt H Clarke RGA from a war diary who I knew had a MSM but had no other information. Just typing Clarke and Royal Garrison Artillery (always spell it out), will give over 600 hits. By adding Serjeant (spell this way) it narrows down to 39, but the very first one is a MSM type MIC card as is the second. The next two are a MM and DCM type card. By taking that service number 334039 we find his ordinary MIC card on page 3 in the expected correct alphabetical sequence. Thus you can very often narrow down the possible MIC’s without having to pay out for them on a whim first. Hope this makes sense

Paul