Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"B" Coy. 1st/4th Bn. Somerset Light Infantry

Guest Roy Bailey

Guest Roy Bailey

I have just joined this Forum and am Impressed by the information depth I have seen so far.

I am hoping that someone here has some information on this Regiment in 1919.

I have a relative who Died while in the Regiment. His details are

Name: BAILY, CHARLES

Regiment/Service: Somerset Light Infantry

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 02 July 1919

Service No: 203188

Additional information: Born at Frome. Son of Charles and Sarah Ann Baily; husband of Fanny Baily, of 14, Keyford Gardens, Frome.

Cemetery: FROME (HOLY TRINITY) CHURCHYARD

Hi Roy,

Not much I can say about the battalion in 1919 as most of the histories only cover up to the end of 1918.

The 1/4 seem to spent most of their active war sevice in Mesopotamia.

You could try the SLI museum in Taunton for more information.

As the chap is buried in Frome Holy Trinity churchyard it would seem that he has died either of illness or from an accident. There is no record of him in my paper copy of Soldiers Died in the Great War.

The other alternative is to look in local papers for the Frome area this is often a good source.

Sorry its not a lot of help

Cheers

James

Guest Roy Bailey

Thank you for checking. I Have also checked All Death indexes for that time frame but no Luck. ( The indexes not just the FreeBMD) I will try and find any newspaper information I can.

Roy,

Welcome to the Forum.

The 1/4th Somersets were in Iraq (Mesopotamia then) at the end of the war. Shortly after the Armistice they moved to Baghdad from Tekrit, and then on to Mirjanna. Demobilization began and the reduced cadre strength of the battalion was then moved to Basra, arriving there on the 15th March 1919. The Cadre returned to Plymouth on the2nd May and proceeded immediately to Bath. (This info taken from The History of the Somerset Light Infantry 1914-1919 by Everard Wyrall)

You may already be aware that the 4th and 5th Somersets were territorial battalions - the 4th being based in Bath before the war.

The likelihood is that Charles Bailey was serving with the territorial battalion after the war when he died - men from Frome often joining the 'local' Bath battalion. What he did before this (it is likely that he had served in the war given his age) is something that you may be able to find if he has a medal index card.

The Light Infantry Office (at Mount Street in Taunton) has copies of the Regimental magazine - The Light Bob Gazette for 1919 which may have a reference to him. It would do no harm to make an enquiry with them as they are very helpful.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,

Brendon.

Roy

Had a look on SDGW for your man and found another Charles Bailey with the same service number, 203188. This one was KIA 25/08/18 of the 12th Battalion Manchester Regiment.

Coincidence, or what?

regards

John