Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buried in Sheffield

smiths565

Hello Everybody.

Could somebody do me a SDGW lookup on the following men

Hudson, Edwin. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, Depot, Private 3/2577, 11-Oct 1918

Maltby, O. Durham Light Infantry 3rd Bn. Private 73563 , 19-Feb 1918

Middleton, Thomas Reginald. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 7th Bn. Private 29701, 03-Oct 1917

Richardson, J. York and Lancaster Regiment 1st Bn. Private 19505, 10-Sep 1915

Webb, S W. Royal Fusiliers, Private 877, 22-Jul 1915

They are all buried in the same graveyard and I think they will all be from Sheffield, because the cemetery wasn't used by the war hospitals in sheffield (although it may have been used by Hillsborough barracks). I'd like to know where they lived/enlisted and how they died if possible.

Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance

Robert.

Hello Everybody.

Could somebody do me a SDGW lookup on the following men

Hudson, Edwin. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, Depot, Private 3/2577, 11-Oct 1918

Maltby, O. Durham Light Infantry 3rd Bn. Private 73563 , 19-Feb 1918

Middleton, Thomas Reginald. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 7th Bn. Private 29701, 03-Oct 1917

Richardson, J. York and Lancaster Regiment 1st Bn. Private 19505, 10-Sep 1915

Webb, S W. Royal Fusiliers, Private 877, 22-Jul 1915

They are all buried in the same graveyard and I think they will all be from Sheffield, because the cemetery wasn't used by the war hospitals in sheffield (although it may have been used by Hillsborough barracks). I'd like to know where they lived/enlisted and how they died if possible.

Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance

Robert.

Hudson Edwin 2nd Bn KOYLI 3/2577

b.Eccleshall Sheffield

e. Sheffield

d.11/10/18

died of wounds

Home

Maltby Oliver 3rd Bn DLI 73563

born and enlisted Sheffield

d 19/02/18

Died

Home

Middleton, Thomas Reginald. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 7th Bn. Private 29701,

b, Upperthorpe Sheffield

e. sheffield

03-Oct 1917

died of wounds

Home

Richardson, Joseph. York and Lancaster Regiment 3rd reserve Bn. Private 19505,

b. St Philips Sheffield

e.sheffield

10-Sep 1915

Died

Home

Have done a quick search fo webb but can't find him. Got to go to work so will look later if no one else replies

Mick

The two S.W. Webbs I could find don't match up.

Royal Irish Rifles

13th Battalion.

Webb, Samuel Walter

Enlisted: Woolwich, Kent

Residence: Leyton, Essex

RIFLEMAN

Died Date: 16/08/1917

Killed in action

France & Flanders

FORMERLY 7448, LONDON REGT.

East Yorkshire Regiment

11th Battalion.

Webb, Sydney William

Born: Hull

Enlisted: Hull

PRIVATE

01/06/1918

Killed in action

France & Flanders

Cheers,

Tim

And from CWGC:

Cemetery: SHEFFIELD (CITY ROAD) CEMETERY

Locality: Yorkshire

Historical Information: During the First World War there were two substantial war hospitals in Sheffield, the Wharncliffe, in the Wadsley Asylum, and the 3rd Northern General, housed in 15 separate buildings. The city, a centre for war industry during the Second World War, suffered heavy enemy air-raids during the Blitz with 600 people killed in a single raid in December 1940. The First World War graves in Sheffield (City Road) Cemetery are scattered and a screen wall in Section Q (near the main entrance) bears the names of a number of casualties buried in graves that could not be marked with headstones. There is a small plot of Second World War graves in Section H and the rest are scattered. The plot also contains a number of special memorials headstones to casualties buried elsewhere in the cemetery in graves that could not be marked individually and a screen wall commemorates casualties buried in Sheffield General Cemetery and Sheffield (St Philip)(Wardsend) Church Cemetery whose graves could no longer be maintained. In all, SHEFFIELD (CITY ROAD) CEMETERY contains 220 burials and commemorations of the First World War and 147 from the Second. There are also five non-war service burials and nine war graves of other nationalities. On the western boundary of the war graves plot there is a memorial commemorating 30 servicemen whose remains were cremated at SHEFFIELD CREMATORIUM.

No. of Identified Casualties: 381

Cheers,

Tim

Mick / Tim

thanks for the look ups - the extra information is great

as for Mr. Webb - there's always one man that refuses to give up his identity.

Thanks again

Robert.

robert,they are buried in owlerton [st. phillips]burial ground also known as wardsend cemetary,i have the original war graves registers which sometimes give cause of death but there nothing to add to whats already been posted,sorry,theres 13 men buried in this cemetary,bernard[mack]

Thanks Bernard. I've already got details on the others, but if anybody would like to do a SDGW lookup on them, they are .....

Ashton, George William Labour Corps Private 405319

Foster, William Royal Defence Corps Private 65926

Helliwell, Clarence King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Private 18811

Hill, William York and Lancaster Regiment Private 203288

Jubb, Herbert Border Regiment Private 30657

Redfern, Joseph S Northumberland Fusiliers Private 10520

Spye, John York and Lancaster Regiment Private 3/3860

Wardsend Cemetery is in a terrible state, So I'd like to find out as much as I can about these men and put the details on my website. After all they are Sheffield men who gave their lives.

thanks to everybody, so far

Robert