Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 star - MIC Query

GreatWar

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a medal index card from the NA as I have the medals (1914 star, BWM and Victory). However when I downloaded the card, I was suprised to see that there was nothing to show that he was entitled to the 1914 star - just roll/page numbers for the victory & war. It seems a bit strange as I have the trio of medals which are fine. I have noticed that the card states the disembarkation date of 26/10/14 which is within the qualifying period for the 1914 star. Is it possible that the details for the star have been missed off? Also, if possible, could somebody please tell me what the BEF 1914 at the top of the card stands for?

All help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

post-12429-1147198984.jpg

This looks like a split MIC...in other words there will be another card just for the 1914 Star.

Andy

Your man has, what is commonly referred to as, a split MIC. BWM and Victory Medal on one, Star details on the other.

Link to the two cards is Here, (I'll leave it to you to work out which one you've already downloaded ;) )

BEF 1914 = British Expeditionary Force, 1914 is the year.

Regards

Steve

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I forgot to mention that I have already downloaded both cards which happen to be exactly the same. :huh: They both only show details for the war and victory medals.

The only difference between the two sheets of 6 MICs that I can see is that one (not my man) isn't aligned properly so it must have been re-filmed, along with the other 5 because the other sheet has it aligned properly. This is probably the reason why the search comes back with 2 results for my man. It also does the same for the other 5 MICs in the same sheet.

Many thanks.

I forgot to mention that I have already downloaded both cards which happen to be exactly the same. They both only show details for the war and victory medals.

That puts a different complexion on things :huh:

All is not lost however, looking at the Medal index Card you've attached, there is another Medal Roll reference number other than that of the BWM and Victory Medal.

Can't make it out properly but it's the, what looks like F/1/2/39, reference at the right hand side of row (A). I would guess that is going to be the Medal Roll reference for the Star.

Steve

Many thanks for the info! ;)

I've attached an image of the area of the MIC in question. The other medal roll reference you mentioned definitely seems to be either F/1/2/39 or F/1/3/39.

Thanks again for your help.

post-12429-1147210558.jpg

This is pretty unlikely but is a possible explanation:

This medal was awarded to all officers, warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and all men of the British and Indian Forces, including civilian medical practitioners, nursing sisters, nurses and others employed with military hospitals; as well as men of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Naval Reserve and Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, who served with the establishment of their unit in France and Belgium between August 5th 1914, and midnight of November 22/23rd, 1914.

If he did not, for whatever reason, join the establishment of his unit ...

Your best bet is to obtain the Medal Roll page{Always best to follow up a MiC with them anyway,as they often have an extra "Snippet" of info not included on the Cards}using the References you have this will confirm{or just possibly deny}the award of the 1914 Star.

The way that I interpret this is: this is an early WW1 MIC and the system was bedding down. He served in the BEF in 1914 and got the star; the roll that is on is probably F/1/2 page 39, (check in the medal gateway book WO 329/1 at Kew, if there is a roll for F/1/3 order that too). This card was then used to issue his pair too, after they'd introduced the stamp. As the roll number had already been written, the clerk didn't write it again.

Point out the error of the duplicate MICs and ask for a refund; the worst will be you cause them untold hilarity before they say no.

Gets tin hat and heads and holes up in preparation for the barrage...

Point out the error of the duplicate MICs and ask for a refund; the worst will be you cause them untold hilarity before they say no.

I have contacted the NA via their website about the issue, so should be hearing from them shortly. :)

Hello GW,

I've just searched through the lists of subscriptions to the Lincolnshire Battalion OCA for 1913. There are two Cunningham's recorded to the 1st Batn., both in G Company:

8178 Cunningham H and,

9461 Cunningham W.

There is also recorded a:

8086 Clarke J, in H Coy..

Somebody's dropped a clanger somewhere!!!

Just going to have a look at 1912.

Steve.

The plot thickens!

H Cunningham is listed in the OCA roll in 1912 as G Coy, 7582 There is no MIC for this number to Cunningham,

However there is an MIC for Henry Nat Cunningham under 8178.

There is an MIC for William Cunningham 9461, but states 2nd battalion.

8086 Clarke appears with two MIC's, the first, stating 1st batn is for Alfred Clarke, the second, just Lincs is for Alfred Clark.

Does anyone know whats going on here? :ph34r:

And is William Cunningham possibly George William (8086) renumbered so as to avoid confusion with Alf Clarke :blink:

Steve.