Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haig`s letter

PhilB

I try to be even handed in relation to Haig, (really) but this had me wondering. Is it fair comment or aberration?

Letter from Haig to Leo Rothschild 17/4/15, quoted in "Haig" by G.J.DeGroot. Concerning the shortage of shells and the workers` fondness for holidays and drink:-

"The best thing, in my opinion, is to punish some of the chief offenders.... Take and shoot two or three of them and the drink habit would cease I feel sure. These sub-people don`t care what the King or anyone else does - they mean to have their drink".

Phil B

Phil,

I suspect that this will confirm the views of Haig from the 'butcher and bungler' view but will be countered by those that think that someone who suggests that, for example, that rapists should be castrated with a blunt pen-knife may be exaggerating for effect.

However, his views do seem a little harsh!!

Roxy

I think there was a huge contract between the lives of the fighting men and workers who laboured at home while wages rose quite significantly and labour unrest was quite prevalent. Haig's frustration is understandable. Not sure of the efficacy of his solution though.

I think it is a brave (or foolish) man who tries to take firm moral views of conduct which took place a hundred years ago. The social interplay which takes place between all ranks these days could not have been imagined by either of my grandfathers who fought in the war. No doubt their view of Douglas Haig would have been just as erroneous as his of the general 'working class'. I also imagine that his view of striking workers agitating for more pay when so many brave and patriotic men were risking their lives many times a day for a fraction of their wages would have found a ready echo from within the ranks. If such a firing squad had been called for they may not have suffered from a shortage of volunteers!

Ian

I also imagine that his view of striking workers agitating for more pay when so many brave and patriotic men were risking their lives many times a day for a fraction of their wages would have found a ready echo from within the ranks. If such a firing squad had been called for they may not have suffered from a shortage of volunteers

I to think many a Tommy would of volunteered.

Annette