Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

any info on this soldier

Guest andyfr

Guest andyfr

This is a bit of a strange story. I was up at a church in Long Crendon with a friend tidying up the church yard where he goes. He has shown an interest in a ww1 grave there which I am trying to find out about in a different listing, when we found the grave of a lady aged 21 which had some writing at the bottom where we had cut the grass. This also read 'To my husband Joseph Hampton who is buried in france 17/02/1917'. All I have found out is that he was in the army service corps 6th Labour Coy service no ss/7843 and was 32, buried at Le Havre,

I would like to find as much as I can about this soldiers service so can anyone help?

Many thanks

Andy

Andy,

My wife comes from Long Crendon and her father has lived there all his life - about 75 years. It's possible he may know something about this. I will enquire and let the forum know.

Regards,

Ray Hooper

Andy,

My wife immediately recognised the names of Hampton and Cadle as being names of families possibly still living in the village of Long Crendon and surrounding areas. Her father, who lives in Long Crendon, confirmed this last night, but he wasn't immediately sure how these families are related to the graves you mention.

At this point I would suggest that this topic should go off-line and I will e mail you privately.

Regards,

Ray Hooper