Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coronel diary: Help please

Psmith24

I've just started reading Coronel and The Falklands, by Geoffrey Bennett. In it he quotes from the Diary of Naval Cadet Mandley, one of nine 15-year-old Dartmouth cadets who joined HMS Monmouth shortly before the ship was sunk at Coronel. Lucky the boys were all transferred to Carnarvon before the battle. Has anyone any knowledge of this diary?

I've just finished re-reading my copy of Bennett's book, following a couple of recent threads on this Forum about Coronel and the Falklands. If you have the 2001 Birlinn paperback edition, you might not realise that it was actually written about 45 years ago. The Bibliography doesn't give a source for Mandley's diary, but the Preface by Bennett's son says that his father left his papers to the Caird Library at the National Maritime Museum - presumably in gratitude for their help with his numerous books - so the NMM is probably a good starting point.

Mick

Thanks for the tip re Caird. I have a copy of the orginal Bennett book, so there was oviously no mention of the papers going to the library. I'll post an update if I get anything

Thanks for the tip re Caird. I have a copy of the orginal Bennett book, so there was oviously no mention of the papers going to the library. I'll post an update if I get anything