Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lyn Macdonald

Tommy Atkins

I’m slowly working my way through most of Lyn Macdonald’s back catalogue. I started with They Called It Passchendaele, went on to 1914: Days Of Hope, through Somme and am now half way through 1915: The Death Of Innocence. I aim to finish my odyssey with 1918: To The Last Man. I’ve been so impressed with the style and content of these books. I love the way Macdonald writes with sympathy and respect for these boys turned warriors. So often Great War soldiers are portrayed as mindless sheep, totally unprepared, walking in formation into a merciless barrage of bullets and shells, simply, because they were told to. These books bring to life all the stories of the Walters, Freds, Syds, Rorys, Arthurs and Bills of that time. Not just mindless sheep but highly trained, bang up for it soldiers, many of them having the greatest adventure known to man. To read some of these bloke stories is awe inspiring and always begs me to wonder ‘but for the grace of god…’ I wonder how I would have fared.

If any of you guys haven’t read them I recommend them to you.

I believe she has done more than any other person to keep the memory of these men green and am so pleased she has gotten wealthy doing so.

I believe she has done more than any other person to keep the memory of these men green and am so pleased she has gotten wealthy doing so.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, I'm new to the board, I hope not anyway. She bought Reg Le Brun of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, 4th Canadian Division to me. You can see him in the reserve line at Passchendaele on the front of They Called It Passchendaele. A fine man.

We've all got to make a living Paul

I have a copy of "The Roses of No-Man's Land" at home. Having read no other books by her I can only say that I certainly liked this one.

I understand that "To the Last Man" covers the 1918 German spring offensive... does anyone know if Ms. McDonald intends to follow with a book about the remainder of 1918? It is a period I am quite interested in.

Gloria

I read 'Roses of No-Mans Land', 'Somme', 'They Called it Passchendaele', 'To the Last Man in Spring' some 6 years ago and intend to revisit then shortly. I rated then quite highly. Although one does need to read other titles for the wider perspective.

I was not being sarcastic and suggest you edit or delete your post.

Sorry Paul, no offence. Like I say I new to the board.

Welcome to the forum Tommy Atkins and I too love Lyn Macdonald’s books, I have most of them.

Annette

Paul I thought you were too :P Perhaps a language thing?

She brought Rory Mcleod to me Tommy, and as his papers reside at the Liddel Hart Centre, maybe one day I will go and have a peak. He is a fascinating character.

regards

Arm

She brought Rory Mcleod to me Tommy, and as his papers reside at the Liddel Hart Centre, maybe one day I will go and have a peak. He is a fascinating character.

regards

Arm

Jeez, Arm - I used to know his sisters. At least, I was always led to believe they were his sisters: they lived in Cambridge in the 70's, and I knew them through their love of cats (no, really), as they supported the animal charity i work for.

They were great golfers, and used to travel to Scotland to play; hiring a taxi to take them to Kings Cross (from Cambridge) for the scotland-bound train. One time, the trains were on strike or somethign, so they got the taxi driver to turn round and drive all the way up the A1 to Bonnie Scotland.

Funny old dears - very sweet but slightly eccentric, to say the least.

I wil be mightily disappointed now if you tell me he didn't have any sisters and I am living in yet another blissful paradise of my own invention.

Paul I thought you were too :P Perhaps a language thing?

regards

Arm

Wow! I've followed Rory Macleod and his battery through 1914 and Passchendeale too a great bloke. A hero of mine. He get's a one page mention in 1915 too. Then Jock Macleod seems to take over. Are they releted you know?

Jeez, Arm - I used to know his sisters. At least, I was always led to believe they were his sisters: they lived in Cambridge in the 70's, and I knew them through their love of cats (no, really), as they supported the animal charity i work for.

They were great golfers, and used to travel to Scotland to play; hiring a taxi to take them to Kings Cross (from Cambridge) for the scotland-bound train. One time, the trains were on strike or somethign, so they got the taxi driver to turn round and drive all the way up the A1 to Bonnie Scotland.

Funny old dears - very sweet but slightly eccentric, to say the least.

I wil be mightily disappointed now if you tell me he didn't have any sisters and I am living in yet another blissful paradise of my own invention.

I do not know that much about his private life. I know his papers are held a LHC. He also did sterling work in WW2 as if I remember correctly a Brigadier in Intel type work, the deception of D-day etc.

Wow! I've followed Rory Macleod and his battery through 1914 and Passchendeale too a great bloke. A hero of mine. He get's a one page mention in 1915 too. Then Jock Macleod seems to take over. Are they releted you know?

Nor sure I am afraid, long time since i read Lyn though if he's not Artillery then no.

regards

Arm

armourersergeant

I've just read your review of 1914: The Days Of Hope a few pages back. Sorry matey, I posted before I saw it. Thanks for being patient with me though.

Good review BTW.

No guys, no sarcasm though re-reading it's easy to see why you thought so, before I had hundreds of WW1 books and before many battlefield trips I devoured her books, had read Somme 6 times before I got there, I think she brings many novices into the fold and I am indeed happy she's made much money doing so, once she was nice enough to answer an inquiry of mine, must be a good person too.

No problem, I have problems with the search engine when looking.

Arm