Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Squadron Machine Gun Corps

tombowcock

Hi Chaps,

This one is a bit more of an obscure one. Not just a machine gun unit, but also a cavalry machine gun unit.

I am researching the following chap:-

L/Cpl Frederick Charles MARSH - 41622 - 3rd Sqd Machine Gun Corps.

I take it that this means that he was in the 3rd Cavalry Brigade Machine Gun Squadron. It would make sense as he was formerly in the 16th Lancers.

He was KIA - 23/03/1918 and is on the Pozieres Memorial.

Does anyone have any idea where the unit was and what it was doing on this date please ?

Cheers

James

On 23 March 1918, the 3rd Cavalry Brigade was part of the 2nd Cavalry Division, which was engaged in the Battle of St. Quentin. As this battle was even more confusing than most where unit locations are concerned, the best way to get a good fix on the unit would be to look at the war diaries for the the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, the three regiments of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade (4th Hussars, 5th Royal Lancers, 16th Lancers) or the machinegun squadron itself. All of these can be found in two adjacent cartons in the PRO - WO 95/1133 and WO 95/1134.

On 23 March 1918, the 3rd Cavalry Brigade was part of the 2nd Cavalry Division, which was engaged in the Battle of St. Quentin. As this battle was even more confusing than most where unit locations are concerned, the best way to get a good fix on the unit would be to look at the war diaries for the the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, the three regiments of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade (4th Hussars, 5th Royal Lancers, 16th Lancers) or the machinegun squadron itself. All of these can be found in two adjacent cartons in the PRO - WO 95/1133 and WO 95/1134.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for that. I will put the references on the list for a trip to Kew.

Cheers

James