Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of 8th Battalion, Queens, on 2nd Feb 1918

ColinAA

Hello All,

I want to visit the "battlefield" where Arthur W Ackehurst of "B" Coy, 8th Battalion, Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment was killed in action on 2nd Feb 1918, age 19. His service number was 23200.

Information sent from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission show Arthur as being buried in the Jeancourt Communal Extension in France. The only information on Arthur is that listed above.

I have researched the battles in the vicinity of Jeancourt but it appears that at the time of Arthur's death there were no recorded battles listed as being carried out. The CWGC listing on the Jeancourt cemetery shows that many of the graves were brought in from surrounding areas. I have a photo of a timber cross with Arthur's details which may have been photographed elsewhere before removal to Jeancourt. The photo bears an inscription "A.R.F 30" marked in white.

When I come to England, in late August 2006, I will go to the PRO at Kew to delve thru the surviving records of soldiers in WW1. Too late however for me to book on an appropriate conducted tour!! The publication "Soldiers died in the Great War, 1914-1919" will be searched at a local library but I believe that the information available will not help me very much. Have not been able to obtain a history of the "8th Queens".

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Colin A Ackehurst

Colin,

Welcome to the Pals, long time no see :D

Here is the extract from SDGW, not much help as you guessed

Peter

post-163-1147079352.jpg

Colin

Welcome to the forum

I have a copy of the history but at the moment I'm at work (supposed to be working in fact). I'll look it up this evening and see if it sheds light on your query

Hambo

Colin

Home now with the history in front of me. At the beginning of February the Battalion was in the area of Vrignes. I don't know where this is but according to the history they were in Divisional Reserve there at Christmas 1917 and "they were still in this area at the beginning of February"

Someone else might well know where this is but I'm afraid I don't

Some help I hope

Hambo

Hello Hambo,

Excited to read your two messages. Much thanks for your efforts as your information has given me a vital lead on the location of the Battalion in Feb 1918. Up to now I have spent much time and a lost weekend of frustrating research on the Web.

Thank heavens for the Great War Forum and for a helpful researcher like you !!

This will keep me busy checking out maps and WW1 reports for mention of Vrignes.

Regards and appreciation,

Colin A Ackehurst

PS: Still working my way thru making the best of the format of the Forum. Apologies if my reply gets messed up...

Hi Peter,

Good to "talk" to you again. Loved your photo seen on the site ........

Thanks for the extract. As you said nothing new but us genealogists like to say that this is still good source information...

Hambo has posted some very useful information which I will now follow up.

A great "Great War" forum with great members ....

Hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Colin A Ackehurst