Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps: Unit history

Psmith24

Any idea where I can track down information on the unit history of 8th Battalion Tank Corps? I have a gunner who died on 30 July, 1918 and I'm trying to pin down where he may have been at the time. Royal Tank Regiment website doesn't seem to have anything useful.

I'll check this evening and come back ;)

Stephen

8th Tank battalion does not seem to have a battalion history.

There seem to be several corps histories from the Great War period, but I'm not sure which is considered to be the authority, never having researched tanks. They are:-

"The Tank Corps" Williams-Ellis

"Fighting Tanks" various

"Tanks in the Great War" Fuller

"The Tanks" 2 vols Liddell Hart

Liddell-Hart is the "official" history and is generally very thorough; the Williams-Ellis' book was published soon after the war but does not have the depth of L-H; I have yet to read Fuller (it's on my list of "must haves"). The Tank Corps Book of Honour by Major R F G Maurice, published in 1919, is also very useful

It is the L-H and Book of Honour which I shall check tonight, that is if some-one else does get the answer first.

Stephen :)

Thanks for that. I'll have a ferret around and see if I can dig up any of these books...

8th Battalion Tank Corps took part in the Battle of Amiens on August 8th, 1918. They fought in support of the Australians. To my knowledge, there were no actions involving tanks on the date specified - they would have been forming up for the forthcoming battle having learned about it only a few days earlier. This would suggest an accident, death from illness or some random event, such as a long range shell or bomb dropped at night. The latter two options would be very unlikely in my opinion.

Robert

Have checked my various books and there is no mention of any action on that day; Robert suggestion makes a lot of sense - it is likely that the war diary (held at the National Archives as well as the Tank Museum) will make it clearer

Stephen

From sometime in 1917 the Tank Corps battalions were brigaded. I do not know for sure but I think the 5th Brigade were attached to the Australians at Amiens (you'll need to check), so maybe the 8th were in the 5th Tank Brigade at this time. It is also true that the Brigades did not have fixed battalions and their constituent battalions could change.

I think I'm also right to say (although not entirely sure) that at least some of the brigades produced records of the actions they were involved in. If they exist these would probably be held at the IWM, Bovington or PRO. It's not much but may be a lead.

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks for all that info. I'll keep you all informed if I turn up anything further