Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps

PPCLI

Hello everyone,

I have a query regarding a man serving as a Driver with the 8th Army Auxiliary Horse Transport Company (255th Coy., ASC) in 1918.

He was injured accidentally on the evening of 26th December, 1918, and was treated at the 155th Casualty Clearing Station in Charleroi. However, he died from his injuries the next day and is buried in Charleroi Communal Cemetery, Belgium.

My problem is that, to my knowledge, the 8th Army Auxiliary Horse Transport Company was based in Rouen throughout the war – nowhere near Belgium. I have looked at its war diary for Dec 1918 and it states its location as “Rouen Area”. The diary also states that in July 1917 the entire personnel of ASC 255 was changed to “Cape Boys”, recruited from all parts of South Africa. The only “white personnel” left were NCOs and officers. However, his service record indicates that all forms pertaining to his death were filled in as still serving with the 8th Army Auxiliary Horse Transport Company.

Could anyone throw any light on this situation or show me that I’ve missed something very obvious? Or does anyone know which ASC companies were serving in the Charleroi area in December 1918?

Thank you,

Stuart

Further to the above, I have found from the National Archives' catalogue that 8 Reserve Park (88 Company ASC) was also re-designated as 8th Auxiliary Horse Transport Company. So it may be that my man served with 88 Coy. ASC rather than 255 Coy. ASC.

Does anyone know why two units were both re-designated as 8th Auxiliary Horse Transport Company? More importantly, does anyone know where 8 Reserve Park (88 Company ASC) was based in France?

Thanks again,

Stuart

Stuart

I ahve checked Mike Youngs history and I am not sure it helps. He does show both 255 and 88 Companies as fulfiiling the 8th Aux HT role but does not explain why there was a change.

You probably know that he indicates that

88th Coy was formed in 7 Oct 1918, as 8th Reserve park (its war diary is WO95 140 and then reroled (new war diary WO95 132);

255 was formed on 15th May 1915 in support of 5th Div as 30 Reserve Park (HT) then moved to Larkhill before being re-roled to 8th Aux HT Coy (its war diary is WO95 4163)

Both units were disbanded in Jan 1920 so it would appear that either could have fulfilled the role.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply. You have confirmed that they both did indeed change to 8th Auxly. Horse Transport. Also thanks for the NA refs - I hadn't noticed WO 95/140.

The only difference is that they seem to be catalogued within a different subsubseries to each other:

88 Coy. (8 Reserve Park) within General headquarters troops

255 Coy. (30 Reserve Park) within Lines of communication

However, Long, long trail has 30 Reserve Park as GHQ Troops in France.

I think the man was associated with 8th Reserve Park, so just need to find out what they had to do with Charleroi in late 1918.

Thanks for your help,

Stuart