Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First draft W.A.A.C. Wimereux

amb

I wondered if anyone had any information on the first 100 women to join the W.A.A.C.? In 1981, following a piece on BBC's Nationwide, I made contact with Mrs Jean A. Brown, MBE, who was a first draft Wimereux W.A.A.C. enlisted 2nd April 1917, and started Army Pay Corps duty 16th April 1917, aged 23. She originated from Stirling. It is hard to believe that at 87 she was still working full-time as a secretary at the House of Commons, with shorthand speeds of 150 wpm! She kindly took me to tea in the House and invited me to the annual service held for this group of women which I unfortunately was unable to attend. I wondered if there were any records of these women, as the first 100 - at the time I was trying to find out about my grandmother who was also from Scotland, and who had been in the W.A.A.C. as a forewoman. I have a copy of Dame Helen Gwynne-Vaughan's book Service wth the Army which Mrs Brown kindly gave me - her own copy had been signed by the author. I hope someone may know more about this group of pioneering women.