Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ferry Pilots

Guest Davidp

Guest Davidp

My grandfather was in the RFC at Montrose in November 1917- February 1918 where I believe he learned to fly Sopwith Camels and Avro 504s as I have photos of these aircraft with him and his friends at the controls. My grandmother used to say that he was a "Ferry Pilot" and I have a photo of him wearing his wings with on the back in his handwriting "Me at Guines RFC". I believe Guines was an aeroplane supply depot in France. I also have a movement pass for later in 1918 signed by the OC Number 4 ASD (Guines or Marquise?) authorising him to travel between Calais and Dover.

I have not been able to find out much about the role and duties of a ferry pilot at this time - was he part of the "Pilot Pool", how many pilots would be in the pool, what was the command structure, what aircraft would he be flying, how long would he be doing this sort of job, how often would he be flying the Channel and how long he would be in France, what would his unit be entitled, and what other duties would be involved for instance testing aeroplanes etc? My grandmother used to say he delivered aircraft but also transported dispatches and even at times personnel, including prisoners. He also I think did some photography over the trenches and seems at various stages to have flown to a very great number of UK airfields. I also believe he flew with a number of nationalities including South Africans and Canadians and also I suspect Americans as well.

Before he transferred to the RFC he was a sapper in the Royal Engineers and did a stint for a while in tanks which he hated. By trade he was a motor mechanic. I imagine that this sort of background would be consistent with posting to an ASD.

If any body can direct me to any sources or commentaries from which I can find out more about Ferry Pilots in 1918 or has any other useful information I would be interested and grateful to hear.

Hi David,

Peter Wright wrote a 12 page article in the 1988 Cross and Cockade Journal (VOL 19 Number 3) called 'RFC Ferry Pilot - Sgt S J Mitchell AFM which might be of interest to you. Unfortunately it is now out of print and I have not seen a copy but if you contact Peter he may be able to supply you with a photocopy of the original. I have always found him and all those at Cross and Cockade to be very helpful with my requests. His email address is wright.brother@btopenworld.com

Steve

Hi David,

There's also a good article on the Royal Flying Corps by Air Commodore Peter Dye (you can view it in full on the website for the British Air Services Memorial St Omer on www.raf.mod.uk/ptc/stomernrfc.html ). There's a paragraph in it that covers the pilot pool at St Omer that was attached to the Aircraft Park and one of its duties was to supply ferry pilots to take newly arrived machines to the various squadrons.

Steve

Guest Davidp
Hi David,

There's also a good article on the Royal Flying Corps by Air Commodore Peter Dye (you can view it in full on the website for the British Air Services Memorial St Omer on www.raf.mod.uk/ptc/stomernrfc.html ). There's a paragraph in it that covers the pilot pool at St Omer that was attached to the Aircraft Park and one of its duties was to supply ferry pilots to take newly arrived machines to the various squadrons.

Steve