Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More Graffiti in Dublin

Ken Devitt

I was visiting McKee Barracks, formerly Marlborough Barracks, today and found these inscriptions on a wall. There were quite a number of them and it would appear that Irish soldiers continued the practice after they replaced the British regiments.

Regards,

Ken

post-7874-1147015366.jpg

Nice picture Ken. I remember seeing similar 'old' grafitti at Newgrange. Its funny how if someone were to do that today, it would be seen as anti-social behaviour, but because a few years have gone past, it becomes of interest!

Swizz

On our first visit to Gallipoli, a member of our party took a pebble and inscribed '1915' on a rock on the beach. A matter of moments later, another member of the group came along, took a photo and said "Wow, fancy that! After all these years..!

Soissons, Dublin, Where next?

I suppose it something soldiers do to pass a few minutes, perhaps a bit like "I woz here"

regards

Geoff

It would appear the lads on the corner, having a fag, had nothing better to do. But some of them could have been stone masons. I include one for Ciaran.

Ken

post-7874-1147120225.jpg

On our first visit to Gallipoli, a member of our party took a pebble and inscribed '1915' on a rock on the beach. A matter of moments later, another member of the group came along, took a photo and said "Wow, fancy that! After all these years..!

And?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting these Ken! They are great.

The name Kinsella I would imagine belongs to L/2330 Private James Kinsella. Do you have any idea of the year this was done - I notice that "5th Jan" is scratched next to the name. It would appear that it was this same fellow who inscribed the regimental cap badge with the initials "J K" next to it too - a proper little hooligan! :)

In regard to the first image, the 11th Hussars were stationed at Marlborough Barracks prior to the 5th Lancers who moved in there in 1910.

Hi all!! When I was working at Regents Park Barracks in London, the barrack church had been turned into the gym. One day whilst hanging out of my proverbial backside I went outside for some air. On the wall of the church out of site of the parade square was absolutely loads of this type of stuff, I identified Life Guards, Dragoons, RHA etc.

Ciaran - I'm still sick about those scousers stealing the FA cup from us!