Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Wesley Powell.

Simon Furnell

Evening all.

I was chatting to my father-in law tonight,and he happened to mention that he believes he has a relative on the war memorial at a place called Welshpool,which i understand is in North Wales.

The name of the soldier is John Wesley Powell,and the strange thing about it all is that my brother in law's name,is the same.

I have tried the new CWGC site,which has definitely changed,and have only come up with 18 names,that the initials are J.W.

Unfortunately,none of them are John Wesley.

Any ideas,chaps?

Would think he was either with the Welch Fusilers,or maybe the Cheshire Regiment,although i know this does not always follow.

Look forward to hearing from any of you.

All the best,and good hunting.

Regards.

Simon.

No John Wesley Powell on Soldiers Died and only one Powell with a Welshpool association (enlisted): 55489 Pte William Powell, 17/RWF, kia 13.5.18 France & Flanders. There is also a 185409 L/Cpl John Edward Powell, 113th Heavy Bty RGA of Oak Cottage, Llandyssil, Montgomery, kia 08/10/1918. Llandyssil is ten miles SW of Welshpool (which is nothing in that part of the world!).

There are no John Wesley somethings with a Mid Wales connection.

Hi Simon

My hockey team is playing Welshpool at the weekend, but sadly the game is being played at another town, if it had been Welshpool itself I could have gone and looked at the memorial for you. I could ask if any of them know if there are any Powell's still in Welshpool, who may be able to help, a very long shot I know ?.

Annette

Many thanks,Bill and Annette.

Think this maybe a curious one.

Brian Talmer,is going to have a look at the PRO for me today,if he has time.

My father in-law,is sure he has a photo of the name on the memorial,so i will get him to dig it out.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Simon.

A trivial point , but was Powell deliberately named after the explorer of the Grand Canyon or is the 'John Wesley' purely a tribute to the founder of Methodism?