Does anyone has more info about :

Cyril Basil Caudley WILLIAMS,

born 21/10/1890 York,

who served during the war in the R.N.A.S., commissioned on 2/5/1915

Thanks and regards,

Cnock

Cnock,

A real mystery you have here!

I can tell you that FSL CPC Williams was a seaplane pilot and that he was on the staff (as opposed to under training) at Royal Naval Air Station Chingford in June and July 1917. That seems fairly straightforward, though what a seaplane pilot would be doing at Chingford eludes me at present!

My real problem is that CPC Williams does not seem to have any previous history. Prior to June 1917 there is no mention of him. I have been through the Rosters for all seaplane bases and training establishments and just cannot find him.

If he was commissioned in May 1915 he really ought to have been at least a Flight Lieutenant or possibly a Flight Commander by the middle of 1917.

I wonder if he was "Off Strength" with long term sickness. Unfortunately, he doen not appear in lists of those designated as "Off Sick" either.

CPC Williams, does not seem to have died, crashed, been captured or interned or made any claims - not that unusual - the real mystery is why/how his name is missing from official lists!

The next time I go to the Fleet Air Arm Museum or the National Archive I will pull his record (assuming that is not missing as well).

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank You for the information.

Yes, I would like to hear more about him.

Commander WILLIAMS RNAS is buried in my hometown Knokke, where he died between the 2 wars, being retired.

Regards,

Cnock

Hi Cnock,

Sorry I have only a few snippets as follows

Commissioned as Flt Sub Lt 2nd May 1915

Commission reinstated 26May1917 with original seniority of 2nd May 1915

Commission terminated 16th Feb 1818

He is mentioned in "The Aeroplane" of 5th May1915 and 28th July1915

Also in "Flight" of 31st May1917

It sounds like he had some sort of medical problem

I can't find any trace of him as a rating, perhaps he was RNVR

Thats all I can manage Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

Duncan,

Thank You

Regards,

Cnock

Hi Duncan,

May I ask - do you have a collection of Flight magazines that you've been acquiring over the years?

I have started collecting a few of these mags myself recently.

Thanks,

Matt.

Cnock,

A real mystery you have here!

I can tell you that FSL CPC Williams was a seaplane pilot and that he was on the staff (as opposed to under training) at Royal Naval Air Station Chingford in June and July 1917. That seems fairly straightforward, though what a seaplane pilot would be doing at Chingford eludes me at present!

My real problem is that CPC Williams does not seem to have any previous history. Prior to June 1917 there is no mention of him. I have been through the Rosters for all seaplane bases and training establishments and just cannot find him.

If he was commissioned in May 1915 he really ought to have been at least a Flight Lieutenant or possibly a Flight Commander by the middle of 1917.

I wonder if he was "Off Strength" with long term sickness. Unfortunately, he doen not appear in lists of those designated as "Off Sick" either.

CPC Williams, does not seem to have died, crashed, been captured or interned or made any claims - not that unusual - the real mystery is why/how his name is missing from official lists!

The next time I go to the Fleet Air Arm Museum or the National Archive I will pull his record (assuming that is not missing as well).

Mike

[/quote)

Hello Mike/Cnock.

Chingford Aerodrome was officially opened in May 1915 as a Royal Naval Air Station, as a consequence of a suggestion by Winston Churchill and when he became First Lord of the Admiralty he prosed that four Naval Officers should allowed to learn to fly. In this way the foundations for the Royal Naval Air Service were laid as a seperate organisation from the Royal Flying Corps.

The Admiralty was also called upon to defend the London area from air attack by means of an air-screen extending from London to Dungrness. and to this end inland stations were set up, one of them being Chingford, to which four planes were alloted.

Ivor Novello and Ben Travers, the actor, were both members of the personnel at some time.

Later in the war a local resident saw a captured German military aircraft in one of the hangers there. A Chingford resident recalls one of the airman being billeted at his home in North Chingford.

Further reading on the subject: Chingford Past by Barbara Ray (Pages 61-62. Historical Publications Ltd ISBN 0 948667 87 7

Leonard Davis Chingford Historical Society, as 'Chingfliers, Ching Boys and

Chingford Aerodrome

PS. TheGeorge the V Reservoir was situated next to the Aerodrome, convenient for the Pilots to 'Ditch' into!

Terry. W

Hi Duncan,

May I ask - do you have a collection of Flight magazines that you've been acquiring over the years?

I have started collecting a few of these mags myself recently.

Thanks,

Matt.

Hi Matt,

No I don't but I know a "man" who has. From 1909 to the 1950's

And most of the Aeroplane from pre WW1 to WW2 but with gaps

Regards Duncan

Terry,

Thank You for the info,

Regards,

Cnock