Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book recommendation please

Ken Wayman

Having just reorganised my Great War bookshelves, I realised that I'm sadly lacking in the naval department. I'm toying with the idea of buying the Official History but space and money militates against this option, so could anyone recommend a reliable, single-volume history of the RN in the Great War?

Thanks in advance

Ken

Ken

For a technical history of the ships, you won't do better than "The Grand Fleet: Warship Design and Development 1906-22", by David Brown (once Deputy Chief Naval Architect) published by Chatham Publishing 1999. It costs £35 new, but I got one in a remaindered bookshop in Bath for £10, and no doubt its available via the net. Reference books such as Janes or Conways may give fuller info on the classes and specifications of vessels, but Brown goes more into the development history and is good on issues such as the battlecruiser armour failures.

For a history of the actual operations, the one I have is "The Sailor's War 1914-18" by Peter Liddle, publ: Blandford 1985. Probably out of print now but try abebooks on the net. There are probably more comprehensive accounts, but this is a manageable volume and interweaves the history with first-hand accounts.

Adrian

Ken

You might like to look at Robert Massie's Castles of Steel (ISBN 1 8441 3411 3) subtitled Britain, Germany and the Winning of the Great War at Sea, which covers the RN's contribution pretty well. His earlier book Dreadnought (ISBN 0 224 03260 7), about the pre-War arms race, is very good too.

For a more international approach, Paul Halpern's A Naval History of World War I (ISBN 1 85728 498 4) is well worth reading.

I hope that this helps

Gareth

"The Grand Fleet: Warship Design and Development 1906-22", by David Brown was also published by Caxton Publishing in 2003. This is word for word and illustration etc the same as the Chatham, retails at £9.95 with Naval & Military Press (Amazon currently £7.88; Abebooks £8.29 imported from America or £8.96 from UK).

For a single book on the destroyer war: Taffrail's 'Endless Story.'

Ken

For a technical history of the ships, you won't do better than "The Grand Fleet: Warship Design and Development 1906-22", by David Brown (once Deputy Chief Naval Architect) published by Chatham Publishing 1999. It costs £35 new, but I got one in a remaindered bookshop in Bath for £10, Adrian

There are two editions of this book, both with the exact same contents but one under the Chatham imprint and the other a Caxton, printed in Dubai and on thicker paper maing it fatter. It is this latter that you often find at about £10 new.

A couple of years ago I purchased the above and also John Beelers similarly produced book on mid-Victorian battleships in the bookshop at Portsmouth Dockyard for £9.99 each. Recently I was sent a Chatham edition of Beelers book for writing a review, this is how I came to realise the difference.

David Brown's book is excellent, although some have crtiicised aspects (in The Mariner's Mirror), and worth a look. The Janes's Warships of WW1 (and the WWII volume) I found disappointing with many gaps and inconsistencies.

Hi Adrian

Much obliged for the recommendations. I was especially looking for the ops side of things so I'll most certainly look out for 'The Sailor's War.

Many thanks

Ken

Hi Gareth

The Massie books sound like just the type of thing that I'm looking for - I'm much obliged for your help

Cheers

Ken

"The Grand Fleet: Warship Design and Development 1906-22", by David Brown was also published by Caxton Publishing in 2003. This is word for word and illustration etc the same as the Chatham, retails at £9.95 with Naval & Military Press (Amazon currently £7.88; Abebooks £8.29 imported from America or £8.96 from UK).

For a single book on the destroyer war: Taffrail's 'Endless Story.'

Many thanks - that's an excellent tip and could save me a few pounds to spend on other books - incorrigible!

Cheers

Ken

There are two editions of this book, both with the exact same contents but one under the Chatham imprint and the other a Caxton, printed in Dubai and on thicker paper maing it fatter. It is this latter that you often find at about £10 new.

A couple of years ago I purchased the above and also John Beelers similarly produced book on mid-Victorian battleships in the bookshop at Portsmouth Dockyard for £9.99 each. Recently I was sent a Chatham edition of Beelers book for writing a review, this is how I came to realise the difference.

David Brown's book is excellent, although some have crtiicised aspects (in The Mariner's Mirror), and worth a look. The Janes's Warships of WW1 (and the WWII volume) I found disappointing with many gaps and inconsistencies.

Many thanks for the info - I'm in Pompey for a week in July so no doubt I'll find an excuse to slope off to the dockyard as usual! How's the resoration work going on the gunboat?

Cheers

Ken

I believe that the problem with the Janes reprints is that they are just that, reprints of the wartime editions without any corrections of the errors & omissions made at the time due to incomplete information. I think that this is the case with both the WWI & WWII editions but is worse in the case of the latter because the Axis powers secretly broke the Treaty restrictions on the size of battleships & cruisers.

I'd suggest that a more accurate book covering the same ground is Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1906-1921. I don't know how much it would cost now but I bought it 15-20 years ago & the dust jacket says £35, although I got a book club discount on that. Other volumes cover 1860-1905, 1922-1946 & 1947 to the time of publication (early 80s). I think that the post WWII one is split into 2 books by geography.

I'd suggest that a more accurate book covering the same ground is Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1906-1921. I don't know how much it would cost now but I bought it 15-20 years ago & the dust jacket says £35, although I got a book club discount on that. Other volumes cover 1860-1905, 1922-1946 & 1947 to the time of publication (early 80s). I think that the post WWII one is split into 2 books by geography.

I agree with your comments on why the Jane's volumes are disappointing and mentioned how they are as advice to anybody thinking of purchasing such apparent first glance bargains.

The conway series is indeed very good, I have many Conway larger format books on maritime topics from an earlier age and they are of a high standard, but consider that to buy good copies of the titles that you indicate could be an expensive business.

I have just looked on amazon but have never purchased through them and am puzzled by the very high prices for some used copies with new at a fraction of those top used prices.

Ken - have a look on the search engine if the Julian Thompson book - THE WAR AT SEA 1914-1918 - has been reviewed on here. I have not read it myself and I am not too clear of the scope of the book but I remember hearing very good reports.

I can really recommend a series of books called "lost voices",there is a set of 3 pertinant to WW1.They are called "lost voices of the Royal Navy" then Army and Air Force.They are written by Max Arthur and if memory serves me right cost £9.99 each and are available from W.H.Smiths.They cover personal accounts from servicemen who were there.They discuss personal recollections including conditions,feelings and ideals of the day,conditions,equipment,military law and custom,etc, I have personally found them very eye opening and moving,leaving myself with so much admiration and respect for how the forces had to live and fight.The Naval one gives first hand experiences of the battle of Jutland,etc, leaving the impression of pure force and power experienced during the battle.I have read histories and looked up facts but this book gave everything the human touch.Truly Excellent,Humbling and hard to put down.Regards Bob.

I believe that the problem with the Janes reprints is that they are just that, reprints of the wartime editions without any corrections of the errors & omissions made at the time due to incomplete information. I think that this is the case with both the WWI & WWII editions but is worse in the case of the latter because the Axis powers secretly broke the Treaty restrictions on the size of battleships & cruisers.

Hi Gibbo

Thanks for the recommendation. I was aiming rather for the ops side of the Great War at sea. I'll keep a weather eye open all the same!

All the best

Ken

Here is the link to the book review of The War At Sea 1914-1918

The War At Sea 1914-1918

I enjoyed the book and learned a lot too......

Hi Spike

Thanks for the website and the recommendation. It looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for.

All the best

Ken

Ken - have a look on the search engine if the Julian Thompson book - THE WAR AT SEA 1914-1918 - has been reviewed on here. I have not read it myself and I am not too clear of the scope of the book but I remember hearing very good reports.

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the recommendation. Is this the Julian Thompson of Falklands War fame? An impressive guy!

All the best

Ken

I can really recommend a series of books called "lost voices",there is a set of 3 pertinant to WW1.They are called "lost voices of the Royal Navy" then Army and Air Force.They are written by Max Arthur and if memory serves me right cost £9.99 each and are available from W.H.Smiths.They cover personal accounts from servicemen who were there.They discuss personal recollections including conditions,feelings and ideals of the day,conditions,equipment,military law and custom,etc, I have personally found them very eye opening and moving,leaving myself with so much admiration and respect for how the forces had to live and fight.The Naval one gives first hand experiences of the battle of Jutland,etc, leaving the impression of pure force and power experienced during the battle.I have read histories and looked up facts but this book gave everything the human touch.Truly Excellent,Humbling and hard to put down.Regards Bob.

Hi

This sounds like something I need to go with the factual stuff. I expect it to be good as the army one certainly is!

Much appreciated

Ken