Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Hon. Agnes Eden

snavek

Here's another mystery from grandfathers pocket book, this time its a name and address:-

The Hon. Agnes Eden, Ibsley Cottage, West Cliff, Dawlish, Devonshire, England. Put this address when writing to her.

I've tried the Dawlish Local History Group and Dawlish Library but they have no record of this lady or the address. Grandfather had at least two spells in military hospitals and I suppose its possible that female personnel did give false names and addresses to the men in their care. It's not a topic I've seen discussed so would anyone like to give an opinion?

Keith

Keith,

It seems strange that Dawlish Local History Group couldn't help you, when a simple Google search on Ibsley and Dawlish produces inter alia several Ofsted school inspection reports carried out by an inspection contractor called:

QICS

'Ibsley'

4 West Cliff Road

Dawlish

Devon EX7 9EB

regards

Mick

Moonraker/Mick,

Thanks for such quick responses, its sack cloth and ashes for me for doubting her word. I must make more use of Google!

I dug a little deeper on the Suffolk trace and found that this lady had a home less than 2 miles from my g'grandparents farmhouse on the Earl of Stradbroke's Henham Hall Estate. So now I have a further lead to go on.

I will do a follow up on Dawlish tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help,

Keith

Keith,

It seems strange that Dawlish Local History Group couldn't help you, when a simple Google search on Ibsley and Dawlish produces inter alia several Ofsted school inspection reports carried out by an inspection contractor called:

QICS

'Ibsley'

4 West Cliff Road

Dawlish

Devon EX7 9EB

regards

Mick

I've had this once or twice - misinformation from a local source one might assume to be authoritative; one case referred to a WWI army hut which I was told by a local in 1998 had just been demolished - but it's still standing; another was an assurance that the memorial signpost near Marlborough to Charles Hamilton Sorley was the original that he refers to in his WWI poems; it is in fact a replacement.

Mind you, twice this year there have been questions on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" where the contestant might have confidently "rung me as a friend" as they related to subjects I'm very keen on - but I would have been unable to help or might even have suggested the wrong answer.

Moonraker