Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Ships on sailor,s service record.

bobbluesboy

I have a 14/15 Star medal to Ernest Fearon who was born in Distington,Cumberland on 10th May 1878.He served in WW1 and the above medal was issued to himself as a CERA,Chief Engine Room Artificer.the 2 vessels he served on from 15th June 1914 to 11th June 1917 and 12th June 1917 to 13th September 1917 I am having real trouble decyphering,does anyone have any ideas.

The 2 ships are above where it says £4.10.His regular shore base before this is always Pembroke or Pembroke II.Also if you look at bottom you will see 20/- Grat for raising VM2 Pemb II Substce July ?

Can only say the quality of some of these records from the Pro is really poor.Would love to hear of any idea,s,Bob.

post-6059-1146906789.jpg

Hi Gavin.Think you could well be right.Out of 30 seperate postings these are the only ones you can,t read,typical eh? Thanks for your help mate.Bob.

I can't decide whether it is a C or a G for the ship's name.

I can clearly see an "e", "t" and perhaps an "o".

And I thought my handwriting was bad! :)

Cheers,

Tim

Pembroke was the RN Barracks at Chatham, and the second entry is Actaeon, which was the torpedo school at Sheerness. The third entry is Pembroke again.

regards

Mick

After Actaeon it looks like TB 027 or 127 to me. TB is usually short for torpedo boat.

Pembroke II was the RNAS base at Eastney, Sheppey May 1913- 1/4/1918.

The quality is only to be expected when they copy from the microfilms rather than the originals and don't enhance what they copy.

Pembroke II was the RNAS base at Eastney, Sheppey May 1913- 1/4/1918.

What's the online equivalent of a 'slip of the pen'? The RNAS base on Sheppey was Eastchurch.

Mick

Thanks very much for your help gents.Besides downloading his record the pro seems to have missed the rest which will be on the bottom of someone else,s page,I shall compain.Incidentally recently got a WW1 Royal Marines service record and on the bottom was another marines WW2 service record.Don,t know if anyone else has found this,All the best and thanks for your help Bob.

Hello

The last entry would be AMPHITRITE, base ship for T.B. 117 (torpedo boat).

All best

don

Jane’s Fighting Ships of World War 1, page 315:

TB 117 was lost by collision in the English Channel on 10th June 1917

Mark

hi,

here is a picture of hms actaeon,sorry about quality jamesbow

What's the online equivalent of a 'slip of the pen'? The RNAS base on Sheppey was Eastchurch.

Mick

That would be a typo! Tell it to the Marines, I blame them!

Its common for both long serving RN & RM records to be continued on another page and to have a continuation comment. These service registers were almost A2 size so shorter entries had room for overflow! For the online records the continuation sheet should be linked, so definately complain.

Hi Mark.Ernest Fearon joined this ship on 12th June 1917.So looking at it I wouldguess it was TB 127.Is any thing mentioned for TB 127.Many thanks for your help Bob.

And to everyone else who has answered this mystery.Thanks and regards Bob.

Jane’s Fighting Ships of World War 1, page 315:

TB 117 was lost by collision in the English Channel on 10th June 1917

Mark