Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th hussars

chevron

My G.Grandfather John Kells born abt 1861 was listed on his wedding day February 1881 in Belfast N.Ireland as a Private in the 11th Hussars. I have been trying to find any informati0n on him but seem to find nothing about the 11th. is there any place I might be able to find information on John and his service records?

Thanks

Chevron

Have you tried the National Archives at Kew? (WO.97, WO 10-16, WO 25 and WO 67).

Dave.

...try also the Regtl museum at Winchester (Peninsular Barracks).

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
...try also the Regtl museum at Winchester (Peninsular Barracks).

Dave.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply. I seem to be having a problem finding information on John Kells I have not been able to find anything in the Archives for the Years 1885 1900 as I do not know exectly when John joined the 11th Hussars or discharged I did write to the Peninsular Barracks twice but never received a reply.

Is there any way I can find out about the 11th? I have been into there web site but found it good for history.Any other ideas or suggestions.

chevron

There is an extremely rare history out there that deals with their time during WWI in a fair bit of detail. Its published by Gale and Polden.

I have only seen one copy for sale (which I bought for £20) and have not seen it around since.

There is also a much detailed account of the 11th Hussars :

History of the Eleventh Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) 1908-1934.

LUMLEY (Capt. L.R.)

This is more expensive at £140 and is mostly dedicated to Western Front 1914-18. It contains a nominal roll of all ranks, Roll of Hon., awards, officers' services. This I would imagine would be your best bet. If you don't want to buy it, you could try the British Library.

There is an extremely rare history out there that deals with their time during WWI in a fair bit of detail. Its published by Gale and Polden.

I have only seen one copy for sale (which I bought for £20) and have not seen it around since.

LUMLEY (Capt. L.R.)

This is more expensive at £140 and is mostly dedicated to Western Front 1914-18. It contains a nominal roll of all ranks, Roll of Hon., awards, officers' services. This I would imagine would be your best bet. If you don't want to buy it, you could try the British Library.

LUMLEY (Capt. L.R.)

Hi Chevron,

No mention of anyone named Kells in the " 11th Hussars 1908-1934 regt. History "

Regards,

Koyli.

Hi Chevron,

No mention of anyone named Kells in the " 11th Hussars 1908-1934 regt. History "

Regards,

Koyli.

Hello Koyli. The dates I was looking for was around 1881. I have a copy of John Kells's Marriage Certificate stating he was Married on the 28th February 1881 Profession states Private 11th Hussars. If you can check anything around that date it would help a lot.

Thanks

Chevron