Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9 Wound stripes

auchonvillerssomme

In Eric Hiscocks book, The Bells of Hell Go Tingalingaling he mentions a 26th Bn Royal Fusilier RSM who has 9 wound stripes, did he exist? Does anyone know of a serviceman with this many?

Mick

Adrian Carton De Wiart VC had quite a record of wounds in the war( I read somewhere 11??) and 1 in the Boer War.

Guest KevinEndon

There arms must have looked like a zebra crossing with 9 or even 11 stripes on them. If they didn't believe in god before the war I bet they did by the end of it.

to misqoute Mr Tony Hancock, 'thats nearly an armfull!'

Jock Skinner CSM with the K.O.S.B. had 9 wound stripes as well as a V.C. & D.C.M. I believe, he is buried in Vlamertinghe and had a guard of honour made up of 29th Division VC Winners to carry his coffin to the grave.

Adrian Carton De Wiart VC had quite a record of wounds in the war( I read somewhere 11??) and 1 in the Boer War.

Carton de Wiart was wounded at least 11 times in his military career. He was wounded 8 times during the Great War (including losing an eye in Somaliand with the Camal Corps, losing his left hand whilst serving in Flanders with 4th Dragoons & being wounded in the head at High Wood when serving as the CO of the 8th Gloucestershire's shortly after winning the VC. He was wounded a second time in 1916 by a shell splinter & twice in 1917). He was also wounded twice in South Africa whilst serving with the Middlesex Yeomanry during the Boer War & once I think during the second world war when a plane he was travelling in crashed.

Carton de Wiart was wounded at least 11 times in his military career. He was wounded 8 times during the Great War (including losing an eye in Somaliand with the Camal Corps, losing his left hand whilst serving in Flanders with 4th Dragoons & being wounded in the head at High Wood when serving as the CO of the 8th Gloucestershire's shortly after winning the VC. He was wounded a second time in 1916 by a shell splinter & twice in 1917). He was also wounded twice in South Africa whilst serving with the Middlesex Yeomanry during the Boer War & once I think during the second world war when a plane he was travelling in crashed.

My dear old Mum used to say to me that "If you play rough games you're going to get hurt", but wow that man must have had some resilience. I think they were bred different them days.

Lionboxer

There a lots of threads on this forum about wound stripes and I think i have read most. So can I add another question. It appears that the rules state that a man would be 'permitted' to wear a wound stripe. is that the usual army permitted ie 'You will wear it' or the man did have a genuine personal choice. also I have referred to men...are there any pictures of servicewomen wearing a wound stripe?

Mick