Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Gilbert Stead CEF

Peter Bennett

I have recently purchased the medals and ephemera of Pte Gilbert Stead 719148, 107th Bn, 16th Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment) He was hospitaised at Etaples on 9th May 1918 suffering from Mumps.

He must have been discharged only to be re-admitted to Etaples, dying of multiple shrapnel wounds on 20th May. I am guessing that he was wounded in the battle of Amiens. Can someone please give me more details.

Thanks

Peter

16th Battalion War Diary

Hi Peter,

Scroll down for May 1918.

Neil

Thanks very much Neil, there does not seem too have been any confrontation with the enemy between the two dates, a further puzzle as to how and where he was wounded.

Possibly shelled when in Reserve in late April (?)

Unfortunately nothing solid.

Neil

Trench Raids

I'm having a lousy day!

Let me amend my post above, he may have been wounded in one of the raids listed above.

Neil

If he was in hospital on the 9th yet died on the 20th then that would suggest either the hospital was shelled or he may have been travelling back to his unit and was shelled. The battalion history states that it was expected to be involved in a new offensive when at Anzin on May 11th. `Furious bombardments' were enjoyed every day upto that date every morning but nothing happened on the 11th. They then proceeded to `bathe in the Scarpe, the 3rd brigade sports at Etrum..and a battalion dinner'. So nothing there, they then marched at 7am on the 19th to Izel-lez-Hameau, some 14 miles in reserve to train with tanks. Again nothing.

You probably already know he landed in France on 19/11/16.

Mark