Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

May MGWAT (Newbies welcome)

Ozzie

a great picture, I've seen it before, very sad...... :unsure::(

I've never seen it before, but it is incredibly moving. Thanks for posting it.

Another heart rending tale Kim.....

Jon-that picture could almost illustrate my story......

Ok, so I can't draw, but I feel I cannot miss the opportunity of presenting a picture. I have never managed to either load a photo onto the forum or provide a link, so this is hit and hope.

This is my favourite war picture, and is completely appropriate. Hopefully there is a link to ithere

Painted by Matania to raise money for a fund set up by a charity (Our Dumb Friends League) to assist horses and other animals serving in the war. The ambulances and hospitals set up by this fund were not used by the british, but were used by the French and Italians on the Western front, saving many, many horses and dogs from suffering and death.

Post war, the fund remained as the symbol of ODFL, to the extent that, after WW2, the charity renamed itself as:

The Blue Cross

see the eponymous thread in Skindles on our Victoria Hospital's centenary!

And we still own 'Goodbye old man'.

Click here

Spike - that's just what I thought.

I've always considered the picture to be fairly rare, although like everything, you have to be at the right place at the right time. Obviously, the day I bought my print was the first time I had set eyes upon the picture. Yet within a week, a pamphlet came through my letterbox, I can't remember what about exactly, but on one of the pages was a small picture of the print, labelled 'Matania's famous WW1 print.' I always considered this to be an amazing coincidence, as twice in one week I had come across a print I'd never seen before. What added to this feeling was that in the next ten years I didn't come across it again anywhere (not that I spent every living minute looking for it). Eventually in 2001 a friend that I had met on my very first trip to the battlefields the previous year, but sadly died soon after, proved to have a copy amongst his belongings. Later that year when visiting the Horseracing Museum at Newmarket, the final room of the exhibition was given over to the Blue Cross, and there on the wall was a large, magnificent rendition of Goodbye Old Man (the original that Steve spoke of, perhaps?). Again, later in 2001, I came across another large print of the picture, in Talbot House, Poperinghe.

Ok, I admit recalling all the times you have come across a particular picture is just a touch anorakish, but having been completely taken by the picture in the first place, you notice this kind of thing. And it still seems a bit weird that out of five instances, two were in 1989 and the other three all in 2001; nothing before, nothing inbetween, and allowing for the page posted from the internet, nothing after.

Jon

I am sure if you search enough on this forum you will find plenty of other 'hand of fate' threads.

It happens, and the only explanation that comes along is indeed a 'hand of fate' at work.

I guess you can calculate mathmatical coincidences, but it does seem strange when this happens.

Ian

Kim,

you had me in tears with that one, excellant stuff.

Mandy

Spike - that's just what I thought.

Possibly, I have seen the picture before and it struck me so much, that it was in the back of my mind when writing the story- I may have seen it via a link on here to a set of Great war posters etc, but I can't recall the link, Jon....

LORDI WON THE EUROVISION CONTEST!!! Ha-Ha-Haaa!!! *evil laughter*

Best song by a mile B) apart from the Armenian one with the bondage straps and the german Country and Western number ;)

Great drawing Lands,

I'm not sure who is the most comforted the Gefreiter or the pup.

The puppy looks just like the Andrex one. ^_^

Great drawing Landsturm!

Neil.

I tried to portray how pets (cats, dogs, hedgehogs and such) that some soldiers kept in the trenches, helped the men to stay sane and how soldiers could find comfort in the middle of the horrors surrounding them.

BTW, just a little detail... I`m aware that Adolf Hitler (who also happened to be gefreiter, lance-corporal) had a dog (named Fox) during the war, but I`m not portraying him.

You guys might like to know that the Imperial War Museum is putting on an exhibition "The Animals' War" from 14 July 2006 to April 2007.

Angela

Come on people, last days. Love to see some more, especially horses. :mellow:

PS Cause I'm such a dunce, I've asked Spike to do the poll and he has agreed to do so. Thanks, mate.

Cheers

Kim

There are few days left, but should we also start to think who's putting up the next title? I`d like to receive it in time, because i dunno how much spare time I have in my hands...

This is my favourite war picture, and is completely appropriate. Hopefully there is a link to ithere

Marvellous link. I recommend the whole of this link to everybody.

Very moving.

Gordon

Not long to go MGWAT posters.... roll up and join the thread with your effort.

If anyone wishes to start considering next months prospective topic, let us know and start a thread early next month- so Lands will not miss it...