Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer Prisoners of War

David_Blanchard

I'm aware there is a collection of reports on OR POW's (WO161/101) at Kew but for officer prisoners of war is there a separate section ? debriefing reports on circumstances of capture etc

David

Yes there is, and they are very interesting. Who are you looking for? Not all POW's reports are printed but even if your officer's report isn't there, they are quite often referred to in other reports. I have the index and will check for you.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

David - repatriated British Officer Pow's were required to complete a standard War Office form explaining the circumstances of their capture. These forms were reviewed by a board of senior officers and if the officer was found not to have been negligent or responsible for being taken prisoner then he was added to the "exonorated Officers list" ...... and all was well with the world. If he was found responsible then he lost his medal entitlement and was subject to military discipline. These reports are normally found in the officer's service file - they are nothing to do with record class WO161.

The following is part of a recent report on an officer's file, including a synopsis of his report of capture (it's a synopsis, not verbatim). There are a couple of nice little touches in this one - maybe true, maybe not !? >

o MB 19/11/18 at Pow Reception Centre, Ripon. Arrived UK this date. Shows rank as Captain. No disability, fit for GS and ordered to take two months leave.

o Address, Junior Naval and Military Club, Piccadilly.

o WO to Jonsson 6/12/18. Usual request for statement as to circumstances of capture.

o Statement dated 10/12/18. Captured 27/10/14 at road leading into Neuve Chapelle. Enemy broke through left end of trenches on morning of 27th Oct. Order passed down from Captain Dickson, commanding Bn, to retire at once in succession from the right. Captain Davis and Jonsson were last to leave the trench, and Davis was killed as he jumped onto road. There was then heavy rifle fire from the enemy and many men were killed or wounded. Jonsson shouted to men to push on in front, but they shouted back that it was impossible. Jonsson pushed on across the road and found a Coy Sgt Major and about eight men in a shell-hole. Asked CSM how he had lost connection and how long ago. CSM said about twenty minutes ago. The CSM and about four of the men were wounded. CSM told him they couldn’t get through the village as it was entirely occupied by the enemy. ………………… “I then said if the men would follow me I would have a try. One of my men in front then volunteered to take a wounded man along, saying the enemy would not fire on the wounded and once he got into the village he would signal, this he did not do, but I have heard since that he escaped safely. As he reached the village two of my men jumped up to rush the village, but were killed. Finding myself surrounded and in this hopeless position I offered to lead the five or seven unwounded men on a hopeless charge for the name of the Regiment. To this they rightly replied “was no good” so we lay, hoping for relief, or later to get away under cover of darkness. At about four we were rushed and what remained of us captured. …………… I should like the honour of stating that the German General congratulated me on the bravery of the men of my Regiment. He indignantly informed me that for two weeks he had tried with great numbers, to take our position but had failed. He could not understand this, being aware that we had only a few men. I naturally misled him as to our strength.”

regards - Tom