Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which KRRC battalion

Mark JP

I have two great uncles who both served with the KRRC and were both wounded, the name Morran was not a common one in the battalion even though their father also served in the 3rd Burmese war in 1886 onwards, I do not believe any other soldier called Morran served in the regiment. So, even though I have their service numbers I cannot discover which battn they were in, can anyone assist with perhaps the war diary's?

Welcome to the Forum,

It is always worth posting their details on the Forum; some-one may have their records as part of other research;

If we can't help, and their service records have been burnt, the KRRC archives at the RGJ museum may be a good pointer

Stephen

Thanks Steven, I did visit the RGJ museum in Winchester but came away with the impression that the archives would reveal nothing after a long conversation there. Bit disappointing for a regiment that I so nearly sending up serving in as well. But if someone can assit then here are their details as I know them

Arthur Morran 46384, transferred to London Regiment under GS92785 then Royal Fusiliers under same number.

John Morran 71196

Both privates, both wounded as my Grandma still talks of the `hole in Johnnies leg that I could get my fist in as a girl'. Not much entertainment around then I suppose.

I am enjoying the forum, hopefully I may be able to assist someone too, I have quite an extensive library of official an unofficial papers. If anyone needs to see the German battery positions south of Ypres on March 18th 1918 then I have the official map in fairly good `gotten from a trench' condition.

Mark