Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MID on MIC

Donny Anderson

Help someone

Have a possible MID to relative (have recolection of an oak leaf on VM ribbon when I was a nipper) but there is no mention of emblems on his MIC. My question is, were MID always recorded on the MIC or sometimes recorded elsewhere.

thanks in advance

Donny

Guest Galatea

I believe they would be recorded in The London Gazette.

If you could post his MIC then I am sure we could look it up.

Davie.

Thanks Davie,

I'll try and add as an attachment, if this does not work here's the details

820 NICOL, Peter Pte. 1/6 Gordon Highlanders. KIA 25/09/15

Thanks

Donny

Donny

If he was Mentioned in Despatches then there should be another Medal Index Card on the NA website in the WO329/24 series detailing the London Gazette entry etc.

Unfortunately, in this instance, there appears to be nothing (under that number and surname etc.) apart from the MIC for his trio. So I would assume he wasn't 'Mentioned', not in those that appeared in the Gazette at least.

I have seen it stated that there was a second tier of MID's that appeared in the Times (I think) although I've never looked for them. These however were not entitled to wear the Oakleaf on the medal ribbon.

Steve

The MICs for MID are referred to as an 'incomplete index' in William Spencer's 'Army Service Records of the 1stWW.' So it is possbile that there was a MID wihout a card, but I would have expected to see it on his standard MIC that early in the war. Except that the clerks were human and left if off inadvertantly... its a case of double checking in the Gazette.

Thanks all,

Maybe I was mistaken, it was a long time ago after all, or maybe just wishful thinking. I will now have to contact the family member who has/had his 1914 Trio as I only have his memorial plaque.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance,

regards

Donny